DM OW dive audits yestderday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianw2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
SharkDZ, our two classmates and I audited an OW class’ first OW dives yesterday at La Jolla Shores.

Wow!

It was very interesting. The students did very well at performing their skills and seemed to display a high level of comfort at being under water. On the other hand, I’d completely forgot about all the arm swimming, bouncing around, "rototilling", "bicycling" and such. The vis was pretty poor, 10 to 15 feet, until the class got to the bottom. The vis dropped to about 5 feet, then!:11:

In the afternoon, the four of us DM candidates did our Rescue skills. Woof! I don’t remember the skills being that strenuous in Rescue Class! I’m the largest guy in the class at 6’2" / 240#. Brad is by far and away the smallest at about 5’9" / 150# (wet). So...Brad and I had to pull SharkDZ through the surf, out of the water and up to the "dry" sand. I’m not saying Shark is chunky, but, geez, man…next time, how about sucking a tank of helium for us!:D

One more classroom session, one more pool session and then…the exams…

Someone in another thread mentioned a huge stack of slates for DM. I seem to have collected about a dozen or so and that includes the Rescue/EFR and DAN DEMP slates. Does anyone have a list of the slates that they got or we SHOULD have?

Ian

Yeah, well you should try pulling your clone out of the water! :wink:
Wasn't as easy as I thought, even being the 5'7", 165 lb. (with shoes) victim.
BTW, Brad was still quite "heavy" while lugging him to shore. I think it would
have been easier, at least for me, to do a fireman's carry alone. Such is teamwork,
though. :D Now, back to the books!:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom