DM swim tests...what a wake up call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finished mine a little over a month ago. I'm 46 now, just turned. Before the test I rode bicycle and race enduros on dirtbikes, so out doing endurance stuff for 5-7 hours some races. Consider myself in decent shape. When I started swimming I about died, hadn't done lap swimming since swim lessons when I was 15. I swam for a month before I tested doing laps at the local pool. I worked on my stroke and most importantly was not starting to fast. I didn't set the pool on fire and just did ok but that month in the pool made all the difference. You will get there with a little practice. Good luck and don't give up!!!

I just did the swim tests about a month ago. I'm close to 51 years old and hadn't really done much swimming since I was in my teens. So, I was very concerned...especially about he 400 meters.
My instructor had me begin with the 800 and then gave me a two minute break prior to the 400. This might have worked to my advantage as it really felt like I never stopped ...and I tend to be much more capable with regard to endurance events (was a distance runner in a "past life"). I was delighted to get a 3 on my 400, 800, and tired diver tow! ha!

What was helpful for me was the following:

1 - Being sure to start slow and gradually work into "my" pace. (Much like running)
2 - Being willing to do the side stroke for a good deal of the 400. While some may criticize this being allowed, I think it's a stroke that is very valuable in rescue scenarios.
3 - I used full foot fins in the pool...also used ankle weight to assist in keeping my fins underwater.
4 - Mental toughness!! I was pretty convinced that it would simply be a mental challenge for me.
5 - Did not bother to use flip-turns, simple found a smooth and comfortable way to more powerfully make the turns.
6 - Took advantage of the "glide" after a turn in order to recover a bit.

Also...I felt like I had something to prove. Wanted to surprise some people! ha!

Happy with 3's... :)) ... and good luck to you on your tests!

400m in how much time? I recently did swim test with a few divers. The fastest in the group was about 7min30sec, the slowest was 12 min (60+ years old woman). I don't know how many point these meant.

I have a question that is on the same topic. I am considering going for DM. Not now, I have a lot to learn first. But for future planning. When you do these swim tests, can you use fins? Or is it an on your own swim test? Is it in full scuba gear or just snorkel set?

Soltari675 ...

The 400 meters is strictly a swim test (no mask, fins, snorkel)...however you can use any stroke. For the 800, it is a mask, fins, snorkel test...kick only.
For the tired diver tow, both divers are in full scuba gear.

... :)

Hi Norcal_diver...

Swim test times and points are as follows:

400 metres:
Under 6:30 = 5 points
6:30 - 8:40 = 4 points
8:40 - 11:00 = 3 points
11:00 - 13:00 = 2 points
More than 13:00 = 1 point
Stopped = "incomplete"

800 metres
Under 14 minutes = 5 points
14:00 - 16:30 = 4 points
16:30 - 18:30 = 3 points
18:30 - 21:00 - 2 points
More than 21:00 - 1 point
Stopped - Incomplete

To be honest the only tricky bit is the 800m and that is down to fin choice and having to breathe through an effing snorkel while not using your arms.
Who in their right mind would choose to power swim 800m with a snorkel, fins and no arms?

I couldnt figure out what to do with my arms as they kept wanting to swim.....
Also. dont wear jetfins. Theyre exhausting.
I only chose them because they are what I dive in and I wanted a realistic idea of the time it would take me to cover 800m.
Which was a stupid stupid call.
Did I mention that breathing through snorkel while power swimming 800m and not using your arms is stupid so my time is completely unpresentative of how long it would actually take me to swim the distance.

Good luck
Nic

I'm just getting ready to start my DM training...I had knee surgery a few months back and am only just now getting back into real shape. I've never been a swimmer (I prefer being underneath the water on scuba rather than on top of the water with or without a snorkel)...it should be interesting. I guess I'll train for the test rather than just show up and hope to do well.

A DM should be a competant swimmer. He/she may be called upon to demonstrate these skills in practice. The qualifications are not that difficult. If neccessary, a candidate should practice and/or seek professional instruction.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom