DM swim tests...what a wake up call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I mention that breathing through snorkel while power swimming 800m and not using your arms is stupid so my time is completely unpresentative of how long it would actually take me to swim the distance.

Snorkeling allows nearly all your "puny" and relatively non propulsion in water efficient upper body muscles to be at rest, while your biggest and most efficient muscles, the one's with the big paddles attached, are efficiently providing all the propulsion. :idk:

Arm swimmers are not using snorkels. :no:

On other subjects it is hard to argue with the fact that modern scuba instruction has been dumbed down and non-swimmers are even able to become divers, but the same people who agree on those points seem to think that PADI DM Stamina tests are too high a bar.

Seriously? :confused:

A half decent water person breezes through PADI OW, just like a half decent swimmer breezes through PADI DM Stamina. :shakehead:

1 question does it matter what kind of fins you use? I am an out of shape almost 50yo that happens to swim alot, and I do my 1/2 mile without fins in 18minutes, If I was using practice fins the 14mintes would be easy. It is all about practice, and working on stroke.

the swim test are to help build endurance. In order to be a confident teacher one must be confident in their own abilities. I personally found that by completing the requirements it boosted my confidence significantly.

I feel your pain! I just got back in the pool for the first time since I was 10. It was pretty ugly the first couple of times, but a couple of months later, going twice a week or so and doing 1-2 miles each time, I can pull a 5. And I am no triathlete, just a middle aged former runner trying to get back in shape. And finding that my knees were getting in the way of daily vigorous exercise.

I have a theory that swimming laps is really hard for divers because there is no air down there.

Some things that helped me and might help you?

1. Get over the fact that there is no air supply down there. Seriously though, Learn what the right breath to stroke ratio is for optimal endurance. I am not training for speed, I am training for endurance, and I ended up breathing every other stroke to find my happy place.

2. Vary your strokes. I usually do sets of 10 laps, 2 free, 2 breast, 2 free, 2 back, 2 free. Never learned fly. Kind of gives you a rest in between laps without resting. I'd drop the breast for a swim test as mine is slow as Moses.

3. Play around with your pace until your endurance improves. My brother (who used to hold the WR in the 50 free...knows a tad) suggested that I SLOW DOWN when I first started back until I was able to knock out a reasonable number of laps without pausing. So I did. Now I do a quick 10, pause for 60 seconds, repeat. For a mile to a mile and a half. I'm after fat burning, so it is kind of like doing intervals in the pool. But every once in a while, I do the DM swim when rested to see how I am progressing.

4. Get some stroke tips from others in the pool. It is hard to see what you are doing yourself.

5. Make sure you had something to eat 2 hours prior or something readily available right before you start.

Good luck with your DM.

If you know how to flip turn properly, having a short pool is an advantage, assuming they don't limit your push-off-and-glide.

I don't think it's futile to test swimming without subsequent tests, any more than it is futile to certify divers without subsequent tests. The test can be, as several people have attested, a wake-up call, to alert testees to deficiencies in their swimming ability.

In the countless threads bemoaning the poor training of today's average diver, a recurrent theme is that they are not dying in droves because their divemasters prevent it. To the extent that is true it might place a greater onus on the divemasters to be fit and able to swim well.

Even a good swimmer in good shape will find swimming difficult if he hasn't done it in a while. A few weeks in the pool before the test will make a huge difference.

My brother (who used to hold the WR in the 50 free...knows a tad)

I'm after fat burning, so it is kind of like doing intervals in the pool

Make sure you had something to eat 2 hours prior or something readily available right before you start.

Wikipedia:
The first world record in the men's 50 metres freestyle in long course (50 metres) swimming was recognised by the International Swimming Federation (FINA) in 1976. In the short course (25 metres) swimming events the world's governing body recognizes world records since March 3, 1991.

If your brother was listed as a USA swimmer, here are the USA swimmers who have held the WR in the 50 m Free;

Long Course

Joe Bottom
Ron Manganiello
Chris Cavanaugh
Rowdy Gaines
Bruce Stahl
Robin Leamy
Tom Jager
Matt Biondi

Short Course

Steve Crocker
Anthony Ervin

There are no real WR's in the 50 yard free, because most of the World has never swum 50 yards. If my much narc'd gray matter had to guess, it would guess Chris. :idk:

Swimming is among the worst exercises for fat burning, because the water is too efficient in it's cooling.

The only way to burn real fat by swimming is to eat a fair amount of food right before swimming. Our dna is not far evolved from the hunter/gatherer who often had to flee the apex predators right after eating. The metabolism cranks up to allow you to burn the "stored energy" in order to get away to eat another day. The key is that it stays cranked up for a few hours, so your swimming would be burning fat long after you are out of the cooling water.

:coffee:

I don't think you have to be a strong swimmer. But I'll tell you, from my experiences over the last year as a DM, that you need to be STRONG and have a LOT of stamina to be a good DM, at least the kind that works with classes. You will haul an enormous amount of equipment, and you will do a lot of walking and standing with your own gear on. I told Peter after this last class that I knew what the swim test were for -- they weren't for swimming. They were just for plain old garden-variety stamina, because you need a lot of that.
Hear, hear! Also, the times I need a DM the most are when everything is going pear-shaped, either logistically or during the diving. I've been around some DMs who are great when everything is going well, but they have so little stamina (or perhaps fortitude) that when things get wonky and I need them badly, they're ready to call it a day. The DMs I rely upon and consider worthy of the title are the ones who, when the fins hit the foam, can reach into their reserves and get the job done.

On the trip I just got back from, we were towing one of our divers out over the sand to the edge of the reef slope on most dives in order to save her air for the diving (as her air consumption was high and she was stressed about it). No big deal. Add herding catfish for an hour's night drift to that, coupled with a rougher-than-expected exit complete with surf, large ankle-twister rocks, and plenty of fire coral to weave through, plus a good ledge to step up, and you're to the point where you really want your leaders to be able to reach down and grab some spare strength and stamina to get everyone out safely and relatively easily. Our divers had a great time, and although we slept very well that night (after some conversation about how rough and not-fun-for-us the dive was), we had it to give when we needed it.

Of course, when it comes to stamina, there's nothing intrinsically special about being able to swim half a kilometer in a certain amount of time, but it would hardly be logical to add in cycling, running, and stair-climbing alternatives to a scuba course. :biggrin:

I'm just getting ready to start my DM training...I had knee surgery a few months back and am only just now getting back into real shape. I've never been a swimmer (I prefer being underneath the water on scuba rather than on top of the water with or without a snorkel)...it should be interesting. I guess I'll train for the test rather than just show up and hope to do well.
lacycroft, please, I implore you, look at the simple, easy, one-page ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks by Ruth Kazez. If you follow it (three swims a week), by the fifth week or so, you should have your swims licked. I've never yet had someone who stuck with it fail to complete our NAUI 450yd/10min swim (or the easier 900yd/18min snorkel), so I'm quite confident that it can help you. I've found it immensely more beneficial than just trying to get better, as I've had several people give up and wash out who seemed to be putting in much more effort but without any framework.

(Incidentally, if you *do* use it, please let me know how you find it and how it works out for you. I'm always interested in hearing other people's experience with it, as personally I only have so many DMCs worth of data to go by.)

I've been around some DMs who are great when everything is going well, but they have so little stamina (or perhaps fortitude) that when things get wonky and I need them badly, they're ready to call it a day. The DMs I rely upon and consider worthy of the title are the ones who, when the fins hit the foam, can reach into their reserves and get the job done.

Just to be fair on the comment there are a lot of Dive Masters out there who perform well in the stamina test and the water skills and everything else going into a dive master course. However like any one there are dive masters out there who have never been exposed to real life emergencies and that lack of experience can be taxing even for the most physically fit people. Ive seen people who could run a marathon freeze up when they witness life or death emergencies and have to go home and rest after words. These people could run circles around me in most every physical sport but they just could not deal with somes life hanging in the balance.

Stress in many ways is just as physically demanding on the body as actual physical workouts.

Stress in many ways is just as physically demanding on the body as actual physical workouts.
Good point.

My mind just gave me a fun mental picture: Given the choice between the frozen-up basketball player and the little old lady hitting him with a purse and yelling, "Snap out of it!" as their tour bus races out of control, I'll take the little old lady. :biggrin: In a DM, however, I'd prefer to have the guy in decent shape with the great sense of humor who will crack a joke when everything looks darkest and then help haul everyone across the chasm where the rickety rope bridge used to be. :D

(If he's not available, I'll settle for a great attention span and attention to detail... but the sense of humor is still a requirement.)

My mind just gave me a fun mental picture: Given the choice between the frozen-up basketball player and the little old lady hitting him with a purse and yelling, "Snap out of it!" as their tour bus races out of control, I'll take the little old lady. :biggrin: In a DM, however, I'd prefer to have the guy in decent shape with the great sense of humor who will crack a joke when everything looks darkest and then help haul everyone across the chasm where the rickety rope bridge used to be. :D

I could not agree more. I have met some dive masters who remind me of the athletic guy on the beach who cant spell his own name but he always flexes his muscles when the girls go by. They think the world revolves around them but to be honest most dive masters are great people. Since there is seldom any good paying positions for dive masters most of them I believe get in to it because they love diving so much. It is a 50 50 relationship though and though most meet the requirements there are a few who need some work.

When I say 50 50 you have to love both diving and be patient and understanding of people in general. As a dive master you will meet people who you will eventually want to strangle but you have to remember though they may be a nut job they still depend on you to make there diving adventures worth while. A dive master has to understand that some times he will run in to people who are mentally challenged and have the biggest hearts but sometimes are just slow to comprehend things. A dive master will have to be patient with the people who really want more then anything to dive they are just battling inside issues as well such as fear of being under the water.

Now when I speak of working with peoples fears a divemaster must be understanding of the fear and know how to address it. They must know not to push a person faster or further then the person is ready to go also. Pushing people to hard and fast can have bad results so the participant must be willing and able to proceed.

People sum a dive master up at first glance and talk but they seldom take into consderation what it takes mentally and physically to be a dive master. All the hours or preparation behind stage such as helping prepare a boat or dive by spending sometimes hours pouring over surf and weather reports. Current conditions such as boat traffic and holiday influence (Such as will there be rowdy drunk tourist or a beach where people may decide clothing is optional all while you will have kids diving with you)

A dive master for classes will spend time preparing a pool and helping fit out gear to new divers all while attempting to keep a smile and answer questions for open water candidates. they will also be doing things on the side of the instructor such as monitoring students while he teaches a diffrent student skills.

A dive master is more then a title its an adventure and one that only the serious diver at heart as well as the most understanding of people should undertake but it does have some really great rewards like tons of dive time and hundreds of precious memories of people thinking you for helping them obtain there own precious memories!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom