DM4 Software Doesn't Connect with Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had the same issue when upgrading to DM5 on a Windows 7 64 bit box - after the install, neither DM5 nor Diving Log 5.0 would connect to my Zoop, which had been working fine in both prior. Searched the Suunto site, but no relevant help there. No reply to my help request to customer support either so I started doing some experiments.

What finally worked for me was completely uninstalling the new device driver (version 2.12.???) and enabling an old driver from DM4 that I found on my system (version 2.8.28.0 dated 01/18/2013). Once the newer driver was gone, both DM5 and Diving Log 5.0 immediately found my Zoop on COM3.
well done
but strange
Suunto drivers 2.12 are the same than FTDI drivers 2.12
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.00 WHQL Certified.exe
i never had a problem with FTDI drivers

---------- Post added November 25th, 2014 at 08:30 PM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...nto-vyper-not-connecting-dm4.html#post7277938

I'm having the same problem with my Cobra3 and DM5 after my upgrade from DM4 - it just won't connect to DM5. I've spent a week of back and forth with Suunto Helpdesk and no solutions. (I'm annoyed). I'm don't work in the computer field so can someone give me a detailed "How To" of the above info in deleting the new driver and enabling the old one? I am also using Windows 7 and 64bit.

Thanks for the help.
Charlie

Throw DM in the garbage. .. is crap (or well the driver issue is!)
Never gotten a comp connected thru DM.. downloaded subsurface, and never had any problems since! :)
Can't belive suunto don't get this sorted ?!? Huh. .

Thanks Dragon. Yes, I've been REALLY disappointed in the Suunto dive log software. Who the heck is writing the software.....certainly no one with any diving experience. After DM5, I don't think they have any computer experience either.

You read my mind. My next question is what is a good substitute. I'll check out the Subservice dive log program.

Your comment has a potential for being helpful if you would lay out what software to use and why it solves the issue at hand. Thanks.

I'll second the OP.

MacDive works perfectly well for me with my d6i. I don't know WHY it solves the issue at hand, but I switched to that because DM4 = POS.

I'm having the same problem with my Cobra3 and DM5 after my upgrade from DM4 - it just won't connect to DM5. I've spent a week of back and forth with Suunto Helpdesk and no solutions. (I'm annoyed). I'm don't work in the computer field so can someone give me a detailed "How To" of the above info in deleting the new driver and enabling the old one? I am also using Windows 7 and 64bit.

Charlie,

Following up on your request for more detail, here's a breakdown of what I did on my Win 7 64 system. May or may not help, so consider this fair warning that you're in "test diver" territory and proceed at your own risk.

Click the following: Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Device Manager

Look under the drop-down within Ports (COM & LPT) for two drivers labeled Suunto (and possibly COM3 or another COM port in parentheses). For each, right click then click Properties to check the driver version in the Driver tab in the Properties window that opens – see the attached image for an example from my system.

ZoopDriverGrab.JPG

The newer driver for DM5 was Version 2.12.XX.XX – that one wasn’t signed properly and appeared to be creating the connection issue. If you don’t have an older version of the driver already on your system, you may be out of luck. The older one I had still installed on my system is Version 2.8.28.0 – KEEP THIS ONE!

I uninstalled the newer driver by clicking the Uninstall button on the Driver tab, then rebooting. No problems connecting to my Zoop with DM5 or Dive Log 5.0 after that.

If you do not have an older version of the driver on your system, this thread appears to indicate that as of 11/26/14, Suunto released a new version of DM5 with correctly signed drivers. Updating DM5 again might solve the problem…but since I have a stable solution, I’m not trying it until I hear someone else has success doing so. If you’re still not able to connect, probably not much harm in trying it.

Good luck,

Lance

thanks i tried it and it worked fine for me. how can suunto justifie putting software out with so many issues

I can't find the old DM4 driver on my computer. I also uninstalled DM5, went to suunto's website and downloaded the "new" DM5 version (hearing it was upgraded 11-28-14)....., and guess what....it's still the old DM5 driver version, and still does not work.

Why am I trusting my life to this computer? If Suunto can't write useable user interface software, can I really expect them to write competent software for their dive computers?

BTW, after a couple of fluffy emails from Suunto asking me for additional information, they have now stopped responding to me. Maybe I made them mad when I told them to search the Internet, as many other people were having the same problem as me.

UNBELIEVABLE.

has this connection issue been solved anywhere now? I had a computer breakdown and now had to install DM5 and ever since my D4i won't be recognized. I also can't[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] replace any DM5 with DM4 drivers coz I don't have them anymore.

DEAR SUUNTO PROGRAMMERS what's the software good for if it doesn't recognize the dive computers? please fix this![/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom