Dm5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

CANNOT CONNECT DM5 TO SUUNTO VYPER:

I used to use DM4 and it worked OK with my Suunto Vyper. Its been a while since then but still using the same PC (windows 7) now with DM5 installed. I am unable to connect my Suunto Vyper to DM5. These are the things I have tried:
1. Cleaned the contact pins on both the USB and Vyper connectors
2. Uninstalled and re-installed the DM5 software
3. Uninstalled and re-installed the drivers. In the Device Manager, as soon as I plug in the cable, the Ports (COM & LPT) recognise the and install the "Suunto USB Serial Port" driver and the USB Serial Bus Controllers show "Suunto Sports Instrument driver". Also tried installing the drivers from a post on Page 1 of this topic.
4. Attempted to use different COM ports. Changed, uninstalled drivers, rebooted etc.
5. Tried the same thing on Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Vista. All 64-bit OS's.
6. Had the battery on the Vyper replaced
7. Tried different USB ports on each computer

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

When I bought my Cobra3 DM4 worked with no problem. After upgrade to DM 5, nothing but MAJOR problems, including DM5 crashing my computer. I had to uninstall it and now use SubSurface, which works with no problem. Just really ticks me off that Suunto has paid NO attention to this issue. Initially, they responded to my emails to Tech Support. They ended up just ignoring my questions and requests for help. Funny thing is that I've really liked my Cobra3 but Suunto DM5 software and customer support really suck!!!! Next computer will not be a Suunto just because of this issue, which has been going on for 2 years and multiple users and Suunto still refuses to correct it. Just unacceptable.

.......solution is ditch DM5 and download a program from a 3rd party. There are several out there. I believe Subsurface was free.

Hi,

I know you're having issues with DM5 and many of you may be pretty fed up. However, we've sorted out many problems already and will keep on doing so. I'd therefore appreciate you guys posting problems you're still having with as many information as possible.
Especially for connection issues we'd need to know which OS, DM5 version and device is used. Tomorrow I will post instructions on how to update the USB driver as that's the root cause for most of the problems which is basically fixed but remains a problem when DM5 was already installed once.

For other problems and/or enhancements it would be great if you could add screenshots (if reasonable/possible) so that we can understand and process it easier. I will keep you posted on upcoming releases...

Many thanks in advance... br Hendrik

Suunto Zoop Novo, brand new. $85 for a USB cable. Tried, DM5 on three computers, Mac pro, Macbook and a windows PC. Tried 2 other dive packages MacDive and subsurface on the Mac pro . Zero zip nada downloads.

Fed up is an understatement. Does Suunto test anything? Has anyone got the Suunto computer to download. Serial communication isn't rocket science.

Why should I trust a company that cant get a simple serial communication system to work with my life support system at 100 feet?

-Al Onderick

This thread was started by Suunto to supposedly support the product, check out the very first post if you haven't.
The Mod appears to have stepped out, probably due to sheer frustration of being pretty much useless.

I have a UWATEC Aladin that downloads the last dive in about 2-3 seconds, easily and without fail. My wife's Vyper Air downloads via USB 3.0 (or 2.0, doesn't matter much), after several tries, and always takes 2-3 minutes for a single dive....hard wired. The USB driver sucks, the connections sucks, the performance sucks...that's pathetic. The actual computer seems to be OK if you overlook how damn conservative it is.

Last edited:
OK, now the Vyper Air won't download to DM5 anymore. It shows [Data Transfer] on the computer, begins the process (Win10), then fails somewhere between 20-99%. THOROUGHLY cleaned both sets of contacts, tried 3 different USB ports....same results in all of them.

Finally downloaded DM4, put it on a different Win10 PC and the download went fine first try. FWIW it downloaded 36 files in about the time DM5 downloads a single dive. What's with that?

My take, don't even bother with DM5. It does have a....few.... features that improve on DM4 but, those aren't worth much if the program simply doesn't work. Don't know if the problem is the program itself or the USB driver, or a Win10 update screwed it up. Something is not right.

Addendum: The last 2 dives did not transfer in DM5. They were imported to DM5 from DM4.So they were in the database.

Trying to figure out if it was the USB driver causing the issue, the Vyper was connected again to view the [properties/driver version] in [Device Manager]. This time it successfully completed transferring the most recent dive but not the previous one. Go figure.
It appears the USB driver is the same date and version in DM4 and DM5.

Last edited:
My Suunto D4i is 2 months new. I installed DM5, Mono MRE & FTDIUSBSerialDriver. DM5 does not even recognise the Suunto dive computer. I cannot initiate a synchronisation between the MacAir OX 10.9.5 and D4i. Has anyone encountered this problem? Hopefully Frederick@Suunto can help.

I have been having most of the above problems, support my ARSE !! Stuff DM 5 and movescount ....
Any how , I have managed to find a copy of DM 3.1 . This works first time !! On all my computers , Vytec,Vyper AND my Helo2 ! If there any other 3rd party programs for Suunto can you please let me know ... Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom