DMT - advice choosing between my top picks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose Big Blue on Koh Tao for my DMT simply because they went to more divesites than all the other dive centres, and i wanted to learn many different types of site rather than the same ones every day. I also knew that i wanted to work on Tao so by learning all the dive sites it made me very employable when i finished -it took me very little time to find work because of that fact! They also have a great conservation team, where we were building artificial reef, beach and underwater clean-ups...i loved it there!

I also really liked their location,being right on the beach is a great bonus. Also you can dive all year round on Koh Tao rather than seasonal diving like on Bali etc..

I'm currently still working at Big Blue, and enjoying it very much!

I chose Big Blue on Koh Tao for my DMT simply because they went to more divesites than all the other dive centres, and i wanted to learn many different types of site rather than the same ones every day. I also knew that i wanted to work on Tao so by learning all the dive sites it made me very employable when i finished -it took me very little time to find work because of that fact! They also have a great conservation team, where we were building artificial reef, beach and underwater clean-ups...i loved it there!

I also really liked their location,being right on the beach is a great bonus. Also you can dive all year round on Koh Tao rather than seasonal diving like on Bali etc..

I'm currently still working at Big Blue, and enjoying it very much!

I know that Tao is a great place to hang out but the diving? Meh

Where else have you been diving before starting your DM on Koh Tao?

I also dived in Similans and Koh Phi Phi in Thailand, Bali (Liberty Wreck and Lovina) and Pulah Weh in Indonesia, Costa Rica (the Caribbean side) and the Great Barrier Reef before starting my DMT. At first i thought the diving on Koh Tao was average, but after a little while (when my spotting skills improved) i found it pretty bloody good, and with so many whaleshark sightings the last few years it's gotten even better.

Chumphorn and Sail Rock were quite enjoyable, it's true.

I believe the OP has also mentioned Scuba Junkie in Komodo. I have dived both Komodo and Koh Kao and there is simply NO comparison between them. The "infamous current" and the cold water make the dives at Komodo far more challenging than Koh Tao.
Taking good care of some incompetent divers at Shot Gun etc in Komodo is NOT to be taken lightly.

Sail Rock was quite enjoyable, it's true.
Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are the only two places that worth a dive or two. The rest are "nothing to write home" about.

I believe the OP has also mentioned Scuba Junkie in Komodo. I have dived both Komodo and Koh Kao and there is simply NO comparison between them. The "infamous current" and the cold water make the dives at Komodo far more challenging than Koh Tao.
Taking good care of some incompetent divers at Shot Gun etc in Komodo is NOT to be taken lightly.

Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are the only two places that worth a dive or two. The rest are "nothing to write home" about.

That was my take on it but I didn't dive every available site.

If money is no object then absolutely, Komodo or Sipadan are the best choice but don't they usually do a 4-week DMT? That's not long enough, in my opinion.

That was my take on it but I didn't dive every available site.
You didn't miss anything.
However, Koh Tao is still a safe heaven for backpackers around the world.
For a enjoyable and inexpensive holiday, YES. To learn diving, YES(stay away from the factory). Lomprayah and its counterparts make the connection a breeze even from Bangkok. Someone to meet the overnight train at 04:00!! And I am most impressed with the organization to suit various travel requirement ie. bus, ferry, plane and train. It is absolutely hassle FREE.

I’ve only looked at paid places. None I’ve even found are free as trade, and I wouldn’t want to do that kind of work. Definitely want as much hands on and actual diving experience as possible. Roctopus, ScubaJunkie (in both Komodo and Sipadan- Sipadan more so cause they have an additional eco option) - seem to be at the top of my list currently. Thresher Shark Divers is on there too. And recently I’ve heard amazing things about Bali. Still researching. Open to ideas. I want amazing training/teachers, to dive awesome sites while learning, and get as much experience as possible in the process. Where did you do your DM, and where do you work now?
Thanks for the info and opinions :)

For diving quality I would pick SJ Komodo over SJ Sipadan. At Sipadan you won't make it to Sipadan proper as their permits are for geusts, ( unless you work some kind of paying deal) Mabul is nice diving but mostly for macro. SJ does have an excellent DM program from the instruction I've witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom