DMT Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBerg

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello :)

Just looking for some advice on when would be the best month to start a DMT course on Koh Tao, with the best chance of getting kept on to work after? I can be quite flexible with dates.

Any advice very welcome

On Koh Tao, there is quite a high demand for DM's, as there are a ridiculous amount of dive shops there. Getting kept on for work is another matter though, as a lot of the shops rely on freelancers to take up the leftovers from the instructors working there. Your best bet is get into one of the smaller dive shops in Maa Haed and work your butt off during your DMT. Never refuse dives and be on time and you will have a very good chance of getting on their freelancer list and maybe even taken on full time. I personally recommend Koh Tao Easy Divers as every time I've dived there, they seem to be genuinely happy employees and the manager, Tom, is very fair and likes to give new DM's a shot. All the DMT's and DM's working there seemed to love it.

As already stated, there are a large number of dive centers on Koh Tao, this is to meet the large number of travellers and divers arriving on the island all year round. It is possible to dive on Koh Tao 365 days of the year as conditions (although not always optimal in monsoon season) are divable and often very calm and clear. Add this to the volume of tourists and travellers and you have a year round dive industry. 'High Season' is basically June, July and August, however there is also a peak around Christmas and new year and also easter time. Therefore, I wouldn't say there's a best month to complete your DMT as each season offers different opportunities. Quieter months allow for more individual and in depth training, whereas busy months allow more team integration and real dive experiences with customers.

As for working after, this will depend on where you complete your DM, how you complete your DM, and your actions after your DM. Most dive centers like to employ from within, so check a few shops and see how it may be to actually work for them. A good DM isn't so much based on diving ability but in fact work ethic, attitude, and customer service; so make sure you are making a good impression and working hard throughout your DMT to the point where you're actually doing a staffs role already. After your DMT, make sure you forward your ambition to work towards your dive centre, and other local connections. There are a large number of freelance pros on Koh Tao, you have to look for work, you can't wait for work to find you.

From personal experience, ticking all the boxes, I would thoroughly recommend Master Divers in Mae Haad. Their pro training programmes are excellent and are majoritively taught by the course director Gaz. The staff are experienced and friendly and go above and beyond the course requirements to ensure you become the best dive master you can be and walk away as an employable and confident dive pro. Standards are met, safety is excellent, equipment is quality, community is welcoming. You won't find a better or more professional DMT experience on Koh Tao.

Back
Top Bottom