Do currents cause accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to study how weather works and how it affects sea conditions, and when is the best time to dive and what conditions to expect, the sea is not out to get you. The longer you spend at sea the better you will understand the affect of weather systems.

I think YOU need to think about why they call nature "a mother". :p

I think many forget the point that the only way to gain experience in the currents that can take you down or up and on a nice fast drift dive are not something that can be prepared for in a pool. There are times at some dive sites I dive at the currents can really rip. Not often but when you are diving with most vacation divers many of them have not experienced these types of currents and most dive centers prefer not to take divers like OW and AOW on really fast drift dives. At least where I dive.

So it is good to pair up an experienced current diver with one not so experienced. Also many vacation divers I see rent gear and do not have an SMB so pairing up to another diver that has one also a good idea. Even divers that do have a lot of dives may have never dived currents like this as was the case with a Japanese lass I dived with I wrote about in this thread.

And then there are divers who go on vacation actively seeking out big currents...Im a current junkie. A bit of local knowledge is helpful when youre travelling as there are some parts of the world prone to savage down currents - eg Batu Gosoh at Bangka Island can serve up a brutal downcurrent in a nano second...not fun but keeping calm helps. Throw in currents that like to try pushing you to the surface randomly appearing in the same area and an unaware diver not forewarned may freak. Ive recommended Bangka to some very experienced divers here who have encountered the Gosoh monster and have also given feedback to dive op but there is no controlling a current, control yourself ... and agreed, no pool or drill will prepare you for a unexpected current ride but keep your smb on you, listen to dive guides/other divers and don't panic.

The sea is not malicious, but it has many tricks up its sleeve. Learn to read the ocean, learn to respect the ocean and if you are given advice regarding a dive site having a propensity for being current prone, listen and ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom