Do Drysuits have the Same Smell as Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washed after every OTHER dive? Yuck. Wash it after every diving day. Use Tide. Really helps with stuff smelling bad.

I can’t imagine not washing my base layer in between diving days.

Lol...it depends. If its 60f air i really don't break a sweat and it doesn't smell bad. If it's 100f air then I sweat bad and it gets washed.

I'll give it the ole "sniff test" after I'm done for the day...there's definitely a line...but it may be a hair farther than your line, lol.

Lol...it depends. If its 60f air i really don't break a sweat and it doesn't smell bad. If it's 100f air then I sweat bad and it gets washed.

I'll give it the ole "sniff test" after I'm done for the day...there's definitely a line...but it may be a hair farther than your line, lol.

Ugh. I think the difference is that you’re a guy! :D

Ugh. I think the difference is that you’re a guy! :D

I didn't want to say it....but its true!:)

I religiously take a shower every day, I'm clean in all other aspects, but if it doesn't stink...it might get another shot. Now there's rules. Boxers or undershirts absolutely not....but a base layer for scuba that I wore for 4 hours....maybe:)

Thanks for the responses folks. I appreciate everyone's willingness to offer suggestions.

For what it's worth, that bathroom where I store our gear is used as a rinsing station prior to hanging. Basically, my process is to use the bathtub to rinse all the gear after each day of diving (I oscillate between dunking and spraying off with the shower head). Then I hang the wetsuits up on a rod installed over the tub so they can drip safely. Then I put two fans on them and turn on the air conditioner. I also run a whole house fan to circulate air in an attempt to mitigate as much of the odor as possible. (Like I said, I use Sink the Stink once a month.)

Still, after an entire summer of diving, the house begins to take on that scuba funk. Thus, my idea of building an outdoor scuba locker made of mesh screen so it can all dry outside.

It sounds like it's really just undergarments that begin to smell which will mean I don't need to spend the time building a locker.

Wool as a base layer and no smell, rarely wash them, the main consideration is drying and air circulation is the key if you don’t live in a warm dry environment.

Thanks for the responses folks. I appreciate everyone's willingness to offer suggestions.

For what it's worth, that bathroom where I store our gear is used as a rinsing station prior to hanging. Basically, my process is to use the bathtub to rinse all the gear after each day of diving (I oscillate between dunking and spraying off with the shower head). Then I hang the wetsuits up on a rod installed over the tub so they can drip safely. Then I put two fans on them and turn on the air conditioner. I also run a whole house fan to circulate air in an attempt to mitigate as much of the odor as possible. (Like I said, I use Sink the Stink once a month.)

Still, after an entire summer of diving, the house begins to take on that scuba funk. Thus, my idea of building an outdoor scuba locker made of mesh screen so it can all dry outside.

It sounds like it's really just undergarments that begin to smell which will mean I don't need to spend the time building a locker.

If your wetsuits smell that bad even with regular washing, I’d suggest you try some of the odor removal products available for wetsuits. McNett makes one.

I always clean my suits in lightly chlorinated water (~4ppm) to kill off any bacteria that might be on them, then I rinse in a bucket of fresh water with or without slosh low-foam. My suits are then hung on a rack in my garage to dry and stored in a closet after they're dried. Drysuit goes into the carry bag it came in instead of being hung for storage.

Remember even if you dive fresh spring water you still need to clean your gear afterward.

I didn't read what type of diving you do? Fresh or salt? I'm usually diving fresh, so a little easier to "rinse" gear. I just make sure it's hung near a dehumidifier. If I dove salt I would imagine cleaning would be more of a pain.

I always clean my suits in lightly chlorinated water (~4ppm) to kill off any bacteria that might be on them, then I rinse in a bucket of fresh water with or without slosh low-foam. My suits are then hung on a rack in my garage to dry and stored in a closet after they're dried. Drysuit goes into the carry bag it came in instead of being hung for storage.

Remember even if you dive fresh spring water you still need to clean your gear afterward.

I thought chlorine breaks down some gear? Also I do not like to fold my (neo) drysuit in the bag, it puts a little strain on the zipper (at least in my head it does) and I'd like to avoid "folding" the zipper at all costs. I just keep min hung up upside down from the boots.

And what's the point of rinsing gear off with fresh water after a fresh water dive? I just hang it up...looks clean to me.

I'm not picking on you, just a different perspective. If anything I'm open to learn.

We're still diving wet up here but plan to get into some drysuits this coming spring. For several years we've been using the spare bathroom as a place to store wet gear. Thanks to this, our entire house has begun to reek of swamp water despite being quite liberal with Sink the Stink. I've been putting together blueprints for an outdoor scuba locker to store all that wet gear between dives ...

... then I thought, "Do drysuits begin to smell the way wetsuits do? Maybe when we buy drysuits this year I won't nave to worry about the stench permeating the house anymore?" I wouldn't have to build this [potentially problematic] locker.

So ... do you have the same smell in your drysuit as you do in your wetsuit?
ryan try washing your suit in a product called odoban or odor ban. It has several name variations. the product is used in old people homes to disinfect bedding where bladder control is a big problem. the smell is coming form bacteria and this product has enzimes to kill that baccteria. it even comes in perfumed smells like lavender adn others mostly it is seen in eucalyptus.

We're still diving wet up here but plan to get into some drysuits this coming spring. For several years we've been using the spare bathroom as a place to store wet gear. Thanks to this, our entire house has begun to reek of swamp water despite being quite liberal with Sink the Stink. I've been putting together blueprints for an outdoor scuba locker to store all that wet gear between dives ...

... then I thought, "Do drysuits begin to smell the way wetsuits do? Maybe when we buy drysuits this year I won't nave to worry about the stench permeating the house anymore?" I wouldn't have to build this [potentially problematic] locker.

So ... do you have the same smell in your drysuit as you do in your wetsuit?

Ryan,

Anything stored wet, will grow bacteria and smell, your gloves/boots/hood must smell as well.

Your suits should be light soap washed/fresh water rinsed post dive, allowed to dry, out of the sun, but in as fresh an atmosphere as possible, preferably outside, and then stored ''dry''

A cotton terry towel will start to smell almost immediately if hung in an unventilated area wet and allowed to dry in it's own time.

The smell has nothing to do with the material, and everything to do with your methodology.

I have a neoprene dry-suit, in my opinion one of the best, no odor!

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom