Do fish Kiss? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is that they're fighting.

There's a common aquarium fish called a kissing Gourami (see embedded video) that displays a similar behaviour when theyr'e fighting over which corner of the aquarium is whose.

R..

It's a way of establishing dominance. They're measuring their mouths against each other--literally playing "mine's bigger than yours."
I found this information in the Humann and DeLoach Fish behavior book, after witnessing the behavior myself.

Only if they're going steady.

the K-issin' Fool

Reactions: Jax
But no tongue.

Male sheephead in SoCal (although they look more like they're singing a duet):

DDDB%20002%20sheephead%20mouth%20fighting.jpg

Looked and acted like a juvenile damselfish - didn't want his pitcher took. Just northwest of the "mirror" wreck at the Blue Heron Bridge in late February. Inch and a half or so long. Went all through this page with no luck. . . Family Photo Thumbnail Loved the pretty shades of blue. :D Hadn't known that anemone fish were considered damsels.

Kevin

They look like a PADI fan and a NAUI fan arguing over which certification is "better"!

They look like a PADI fan and a NAUI fan arguing over which certification is "better"!

Now that's not fair. Padi fans have the bigger mouths while everyone knows that Naui is better.

The parrot fish in my experience is a dominance type of fish. This is not at all unusual as they are usually some of the easiest going fish in the seas until they come into contact with another parrotfish.

As a member of a local aquarium I have the priveledge to get to spend alot of time feeding and watching all sorts of beautiful fish do their own thing. We have one very huge parrotfish who never gave us a lick of trouble until they introduced a second parrotfish. As we begin to feed them they for what ever reason become very aggressive towards one another as well as the diver LOL. I still got the pinch mark where the bigger one bit my arm and it hurt despite the neoprene :)

Usually after they have eaten though they settle down and mellow out significantly. My guess would be they were probably both attempting to feed in the same location at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom