Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred:
Hi,

Just a question. I've got a line cutter, if I get some shears, do I even need a dive knife? I don't see any need for any of the larger knife's, so figured that a line cutter and shears would be more than enough.
no

Lately, I've been using it to stone the fish, and I've seen a lot less cudas looking at my stringer.
The new Titanium seems to work better than SS for cutting lines and cleaning fish.
I'm considering of changing my small DR Z-knife for the OMS Ti line cutter, the price is holding me back so far and the fact that I've never used the small Z-knife in over 8yrs carrying it.

well i have a knife u dont need somehting expensive but a knife could save your life
just find something that wont rust

When I am afield - I am carrying a knife or three. A BFK is something that is always good to have around. You can do much with a big knife that you can with a little knife but not the other way around.

I have a medium sized (5" +/- blade) with a pointed tip that is there just in case I do tangle with somehting that cannot be dealt with otherwise. The other is a blunt tipped affir that does more pounding, prying, scraping and the like than actial cutting but is still very handy to have around.

I am a pilot, an outsoorsman, (hunter, Jeeper, camper, etcetera) an avid offshore fisherman and, af course, a diver and in all of these settings I rest with my favorite time honored saying, "Better to HAVE it and not need it than to NEED it and NOT have it!"

The other saying I like, that is so true in a plane, in a boat and underwater is, "If you have it but do not have it with you - you do not have it!"

Back
Top Bottom