Do I log it lol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wagonburner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thought this was hilarious

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529421725818.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529421725818.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 267
My Divemaster course had several students who were rushing through the entire certification process, needing 60 logged dives to complete.

I got certified initially in 1986, and probably had over 500 dives (currently close to 1000) at the time.

These guys were counting pool sessions where even though they might put on their rig, the deepest they got was maybe 8 feet for 60 seconds, while assisting our Instructor in some of his OW classes.

I never said a word, got my DM Card, and went on my way.

If I was logging at the time I would have logged this one, even though I remember it ti this day.

The conditions were not good, a good surge and may be 5' viz at the surface, but we figured it was just a plankton bloom and it would be better on the bottom as we had see this before. We swam out a ways and decided to stay vertical for the decent, and hold each other's stab jacket so we would get to the bottom togather.

Started down, viz dropped to a few feet and the surge was about 5 or 6. At about 20 feet we take our little sideways trip again, and on my right side a huge rock wall comes out of nowhere. The good news was the rock deflected the surge back at us and cushened us enough so we didn't actually hit the rock.

At the same instant my buddy and I gave the thumbs up, let go of the others vest, and headed for the surface. Run time of the dive, less than two minutes.

Learned a lot on that dive.

Bob

If I was logging at the time I would have logged this one, even though I remember it ti this day.

The conditions were not good, a good surge and may be 5' viz at the surface, but we figured it was just a plankton bloom and it would be better on the bottom as we had see this before. We swam out a ways and decided to stay vertical for the decent, and hold each other's stab jacket so we would get to the bottom togather.

Started down, viz dropped to a few feet and the surge was about 5 or 6. At about 20 feet we take our little sideways trip again, and on my right side a huge rock wall comes out of nowhere. The good news was the rock deflected the surge back at us and cushened us enough so we didn't actually hit the rock.

At the same instant my buddy and I gave the thumbs up, let go of the others vest, and headed for the surface. Run time of the dive, less than two minutes.

Learned a lot on that dive.

Bob
Had a similar experience on one of my AOW dives. There was a group of three (me, another student and the instructor), we all signalled to go down which I did, got to about 5m realised I couldn't see anything including my team (could just make out my dive computer), waited for about 1 min and returned to the surface. They were exactly where I left them (the other student was having an issue with the drysuit and couldn't descend) and the instructor asked "What was it like?". He was told and we called the dive there and then. Still logged it as it was a definite learning experience. Skipper took us back out (free of charge) 2 weeks later to the same spot and vis was about 20m and a great dive was had by all.

I am stil struggling with a dive during my stress & rescue class. Going to find a lost diver. Found them. Got them neutral, cradled them. Brought them up. Began rescue breaths. Yadda yadda. My time underwater was less than 90 second. Got cudos for my appropriate ascent rate.

Now the “event” was four or five minutes long before I got him on shore, but time underwater was 86 seconds or something like that. Showed one minute on my computer. it still rubs me as a tough pill to swallow to actually log it. I logged it and took a ton of notes in the log, but seems like a cheater count.

I am stil struggling with a dive during my stress & rescue class. Going to find a lost diver. Found them. Got them neutral, cradled them. Brought them up. Began rescue breaths. Yadda yadda. My time underwater was less than 90 second. Got cudos for my appropriate ascent rate.

Now the “event” was four or five minutes long before I got him on shore, but time underwater was 86 seconds or something like that. Showed one minute on my computer. it still rubs me as a tough pill to swallow to actually log it. I logged it and took a ton of notes in the log, but seems like a cheater count.

That was the correct thing to do. Some courses have a certain number of dives to do for tasks. If the dive finished the task, then that fact should be logged.

I logged the same dive in my log book since it was for a course. Though in my case the spot the instructor picked for shore had a lot of submerged rocks that came almost to the surface and at the shore the land had a 30 degree rise over more rough terrain. The guy we were bringing in was large and there was two of us divers. Me and a petite female diver (who was as strong as was). The time underwater was the same but the other parts like removing gear and pulling up on shore as we fell over the submerged rocks were a lot more than 5 minutes. Even though I had on a 5mm wetsuit my legs were covered with bruises the next day.

I will add that I have had a couple of times where an instructor wanted to see that the appropriate dives for a course were logged. Maybe since I did a fair ammount of agency hopping.

I logged a few dives that were to a maximum depth of 5 fsw but only because I was filming a species new to California waters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom