do i need to buy a gasket and silicone when i change computer battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yogavnture

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi i have a genesis react pro computer . but that dont matter it could be any computer...........i see battery kits on ebay which are a battery . silicone grease and a rubber seal. do i need to pay like 4 times more for all that when really all i need is the battery. ?

You can usually/often re-use the oring after cleaning it and relubricating it. But if you continue to do so, you get closer to a leak each time. So the manufacturer wants the oring changed each time, to eliminate the inherent gamble of re-used Your call.

Genesis Pro React? $325 on eBay.
O-ring & battery? $9 on eBay

Shop harder.

Gotta get you some silicone, but you should have that nevertheless.

Get somebody to explain proper o-ring removal, cleaning of mating surfaces, greasing of o-ring, tightening of cap... it is not intuitive by any means.

A kit usually comes with umpteen hundred percent markup. You should be able to buy the bits for less, but you have to buy a tub of grease and a box of o-rings and you're not saving much up front.

orings can imprint when compressed during use so it's best to replace both. Once I had ab o-ring stick to the case and it tore during removal so had to be replaced anyway.

If you can source the right one a hydraulic supplier in your area might sell you a couple
or even give them to you but is it worth the trouble to save $9? You'llneed to know the dash# and material - often Buna-n or Nitrile. There's also online sources like Order O-Rings Quick and Easy X-Ring Seals Rubber Washers - I've bought from them.

PS a credit card often makes a good removal tool. Fancier is a brass o-ring pick. I have one since my video housing had multiple o-rings​

PS a credit card often makes a good removal tool. Fancier is a brass o-ring pick. I have one since my video housing had multiple o-rings​

Wooden tooth pick if you really want to go high end.

Learn the “pinch and squeeze” first.

hi i have a genesis react pro computer . but that dont matter it could be any computer...........i see battery kits on ebay which are a battery . silicone grease and a rubber seal. do i need to pay like 4 times more for all that when really all i need is the battery. ?

While you can often get away with reusing the o-ring/gasket it is penny wise pound foolish considering the cost of an o-ring compared to the cost of your compute. Best practice dictates that the o-ring/gasket be changed when the battery is changed.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to buy o-rings at certain hardware or plumbing specialty supply stores rather inexpensively. Look for stores that are geared towards supplying professionals not the home-improvement market.

Or you can buy o-rings relatively inexpensively on Amazon. I purchased a pack of 25 o-rings for my suunto battery compatment for less than $2.00 US. Between myself, my wife, and our kids we have 5 computers. I keep a couple of the o-rings in my save-a-dive kit, and I know plenty of people with suunto computers.

I have an array of o-rings that I have bought by the bag of 25 or 100. For x-mas stocking stuffers for friends that dive, I have taken the o-rings and a pick set and put together an o-ring kit with all the common sizes of o-rings one comes across, to also include o-rings for computer battery covers and transmitters.

A tube of silicone grease is not that expensive and will last nearly forever. Or take a contact lens case to a dive shop and ask them if they can spare a dolop of grease for you to keep in your save-a-dive kit.

Batteries can most certainly be purchased less expensively online or locally than in advertised kits.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

-Z

Wooden tooth pick if you really want to go high end.

Learn the “pinch and squeeze” first.

What is the "pinch and squeeze"?

What is the "pinch and squeeze"?

pinch and squeeze refers to using one's fingers on opposing sides of the mounted o-ring and squeezing the o-ring around as the fingers sort of slide around the o-ring to create a separation/gap/slack that can be pinched or an object like a tooth pick or metal/plastic pick can be inserted between the o-ring and object to gently pry it up.

If this maneuver can be successfully performed it is preferably to inserting a pick or object between the o-ring and the groove it sits in as that can lead to scratches that may cause a leak if one is not extremely careful.

-Z

On my computer it sits in groove like on a yoke tank, so there the choices are don't touch it, just lube the surface, or dig it out and replace it. Once you bought a bag of o-rings, it makes perfect sense to do the latter every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom