Do I need to get my logbook stamped after each dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry_Calgary

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All, I have completed my OW certification and have the official card and my logbook was filled out and stamped by my instructor. I am planning on continuing to track my dives in my logbook, do I need the DM to stamp my logbook for any future reference such as do I need to prove that I have completed X amount of dives to qualify for additional training or need a specific amount of logged dives to be able to attempt a particular type of dive ?
Thanks Barry.

No, it is not required. Most like what your instructor was signing off on were training dives.

Remember: There are no scuba police, but always dive within your limits.

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dive log is for your personal reference. You dont need any stamps unless you want them. If you ever need to show proof of a certain number of dives then people will take your word. The truth usualy comes out in the water if you lie about your experience.

Keeping a log can be very helpful. Of course, there are dive number requirements for some continuing dive education courses, but some dive operstors also have their own requirements for specific dives.

Another good reason is to document equipment used on a specific dive. For example, I am headed to Bonaire on Friday night. I can't remember how much weight I used the last time I dove in warm salt water. A quick check of my log book will make getting everything dialed in much easier.

I usually dive with one or more family member and I log their weight requirements too because they always forget.

My OW instructor stamped my OW and AOW. My Rescue instructor signed my training dives. My DM instructor signed my training dives. I always log my dives and have my buddy sign the logbook.

The logbook serves a couple of important purposes. One is to document dives for others, such as having a certain minimum number of dives for additional training, or being able to go on certain dives requiring a certain level of experience. Another important reason to log dives is to be able go back and review what happened, what you saw, how your gear was configured, etc.

The short answer to your question is "Yes". If you're logging dives--and I recommend you do--have your buddy or DM sign your dive.

Ron

If it is a training dive I always get the instructor to sign my log book. If it is a fun dive my buddy will sign the log book. The places I have been have had either some stickers or a stamp with the dive ops name and location.

The stamp isn't IMO necessary but it is pretty fun to look back and see it.

What does your Buddy signature represent ? Just a conformation of sorts that you did the dive ?

I've often posted that no one has EVER looked at my log. Not for charters or courses (PADI Rescue used to require 20 dives and DM I believe now requires 40 to start, 60 when finished the course). Even for DM my instructor took my word for it. But for courses it probably does make sense to record all dives just in case. Now, there is the often discussed question of what constitutes a dive. Consensus seems to be 15 feet for 20 minutes or so. As far as signatures and/or stamping logs goes--do solo dives count (does anyone know?)? I always made sure I had enough absolutely "legitimate" signed dives logged prior to a taking a course.

+1 to the above sentiments - you don't need a stamp (you can buy them anywhere) but a signature (or stamp) from a dive buddy does lend credence to your dive history if it needs to be checked for some reason, either for continuing education purposes or for some "minimum number of dives before you can dive this site" or whatever.

I do recommend keeping a good log for the first hundred or so dives - weighting, exposure protection, temperature, air consumption (i.e. dive time + depth vs. starting/ending tank pressure etc.) These can be very useful if you've been out of the water for a while or diving in different locations or conditions. They give your buddy/guide/instructor a good baseline to start from if necessary.

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom