Do I need to get my logbook stamped after each dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tip for the stamps in your book...

Use a paper towel or piece of paper as a blotter after you stamp the book. Usually, you are getting two or more stamps at a time. If you (or the Dive Op) stamp the back of your log book page and then immediately turn the page to stamp the next page your fresh stamp will smear. Put some paper in between for a minute (until the ink dries) and it'll ensure that the stamp comes out nice.

I have my dive buddy or another along on the dive sign off on that dive. I log every dive, and have since I was certified 14 years ago. I do not understand those who say "I don't log dives" or "no one has ever looked at my log book." First of all, I look at my dive log all the time. I look at it to review information I record about weighting and air consumption in various conditions and wearing a variety of equipment. I look at it before returning to an area where I have dove in the past to note any particularly good sites or boring sites, hazards, interesting observations, and so on. If you are an adventurous diver and want to go on some particularly challenging dives with operators in some locations, they will ask to see that you have a certain number of logged dives. (Hammerhead dive off Molokai, for example). Some will want documentation of your most recent dive within a given period, or may require a scuba review. It 's true. I suppose you could lie, but why? To get to do a dive beyond your competence? That is not a very good idea. I have a stamp and so does my wife. People we dive with invite us to "stamp" their book- it makes the page more colorful. I also collect contact information in my log book from local divers we have met at far away sites, so I can call them if I need someone to dive with. Finally, if you are a dive professional, someone has looked at your dive book at least once, and may want to look at it more than once if a liability issue arises in the future. If you are looking for a job in the dive industry, documented experience is always a plus. To each his own, however. I for one chose to keep a dive log for my own benefit and entertainment, and to document for others my experience level if needed. My wife does the same. I encourage others to do the same.
DivemasterDennis

hmmm...i've not had a signature since my OW training dives. My dive log is 100% electronic. I dump the data from my DC to the dive manager software, fill out the details and click "save". When i have gone for advanced training, the instructor accepts it and recognizes aftre talking with me and/or diving with me that i know what i'm doing. If the instructor insists on written signed logs then that instructor is not advanced enough for me.

Exactly, no magical incantation. It's all about convincing the instructor/outfit that you are what you say you are so they know they aren't signing on to a liability. Walking the walk and talking the talk convincingly also only comes with lots of experience. Many ways of conveying the same thing, but ultimately it's up to who you are trying to convince and what level of risk they are comfortable with.

I log all dives. I dive with a lot of the same people but If I dive with someone I may not see again, I log before I leave that person. I will fill out my log then I write that persons name in upper left hand top of the page then next time I see them they sign it. It is fun to look back over dives from a year ago or more

I log and get the stamp when there's stamps.. Last set of dives the DM put his obnoxiously huge stamp right over all the info I logged.. Ink everywhere, bleeding through the page and then signed on top of the stamp.. Made me wonder why I just spent the time writing all that down since I can't read it now. What a bonehead

I spent a lot of time going through my log book last year and putting it in oceanlog. Brought back a lot of memories. Also, realized how many dives didn't make it into the book (opps) can't do it now. Anyway, having the buddy sign does seem a little hookkie at the time but having them signed really brings back the memory much better than a scribble that says "4 from Alabama". I thought if some of those random insta buddies had stamped it, I would have really remembered and appreciate it now. So I got a stamp for myself.. A cool little compact folding "pocket stamp" that has my name OW agency and number "followed by a little scuba diver."

I have my dive buddy or another along on the dive sign off on that dive. I log every dive, and have since I was certified 14 years ago. I do not understand those who say "I don't log dives" or "no one has ever looked at my log book."

I must admit I don't understand people that log dives. I have zero interest in reviewing past dives. I can easily remember the different weights I use with different configurations. I do download my computer and keep an electronic log so I know how many dives I've done and at what depths. I do look at my sac rate and the dive profile and how NDL changes during the profile. But I have no interest in adding any narrative. I only note the location and don't even bother putting in the exact dive site. I can tell you exactly how many dives I've done at each island but couldn't tell you what dive sites I've been to and really don't care except for the very memorable ones that are easily in my mind.

10 different islands, 16 different ops and no one has ever asked for my log.
8 different local charters and no one has asked for my log.
5 courses post OW and no instructor has asked for my log.

Many of my dive buds are like Diverrex. They just don't have an interest in logging dives. Some do it on computer. It is a personal choice and preference.

It is interesting to note that I have never been asked by an agency or charter to review my logs. My dive trips and experience would be close to Diverrex as well.

I do like reviewing the logs. Reminds me of the dives and some of the great (and the few not so great) people with whom I am dived.

After my 2 hour drive back from a local dive, I will sit my a$$ down on the deck with an adult beverage and fill out the log.

My own personal stamp? Don't have one but like the idea.

Maybe a new trend is staring here..

I use DiveLog on my iPhone--I find that the ink from the stamp just rubs off the screen, so I don't bother:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom