Do I need to try the reg before I buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at buying an Atomic Aquatics Z2x regulator,

It has got very good reviews and many people say it's great

do I need to try it before I buy it?

It would be preferable to at least see one in person. You may find that you don't like the control layout, or something like that. But it's low risk compared to something like a mask, which you're usually crazy to buy without trying on first.

In an ideal world, it would be best to demo a reg before buying it. This experience should give you an idea of how it breathes, how heavy it feels, how easy it is to adjust, how well it purges, whether the exhaust bubbles are annoying, whether you get dry mouth using it, etc. In order to get a fair impression of the reg, the reg must be properly tuned. You should know that the quality of reg tuning will probably have a more significant impact on subjective breathing performance than brand.

It sounds like you've already confirmed that the Z2x has all the features you want. Atomic makes quality regs which are highly regarded by the folks here on SB. That's probably good enough.

Get the best price and order it! :D

In an ideal world, it would be best to demo a reg before buying it. This experience should give you an idea of how it breathes, how heavy it feels, how easy it is to adjust, how well it purges, whether the exhaust bubbles are annoying, whether you get dry mouth using it, etc. In order to get a fair impression of the reg, the reg must be properly tuned. You should know that the quality of reg tuning will probably have a more significant impact on subjective breathing performance than brand.

It sounds like you've already confirmed that the Z2x has all the features you want. Atomic makes quality regs which are highly regarded by the folks here on SB. That's probably good enough.

Get the best price and order it! :D

I've seen the Z2 as a rental reg on the Humbolt. Other than that I doubt a shop will let you take a brand new reg on a demo dive.

Adam

Are you fairdinkum. Go to a shop 20 miles north, that you're unlikely to go to again. Fiddle with their stuff and ask questions for two hours then prepare to look at the ground when you walk around Portsea OR go to a few shops fiddle and talk, then buy something.

I've seen the Z2 as a rental reg on the Humbolt. Other than that I doubt a shop will let you take a brand new reg on a demo dive.
@Hatul: Where's your imagination? I never said that the demo had to be done with a new reg from a shop. A perfectly acceptable option is to try out a buddy's reg if he/she happens to have a Z2x. If the OP is a member of one or more local dive clubs, that can also be a great resource. Divers can be a very generous bunch especially when it comes to trying out gear. :)

Back
Top Bottom