Do Marine vs. Terrestrial Animals differ in dangerousness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question’s been building for awhile. It grew to some extent out of the shark feed diving debate where some equate using food to bring in sharks to doing so to bring in bears or alligators, and ask ‘what’s the difference?’ A Biologist might point out a primitive cartilaginous fish, a reptile and a large land mammal related to dogs are fairly distinct from each other, but maybe the question deserves more thought.

It’s not just about shark feed diving. Ever dove the off shore wrecks out of North Carolina and been surrounded by sand tiger sharks? No feeding involved; the wrecks draw them in with habitat, not food. How many of us dive near large barracuda, and as long as the fish hangs out calmly, no big deal?

How about reptiles? Sea snakes and sea kraits seem pretty docile compared to terrestrial cobras and rattlers. I’ve been around enough cotton mouths, copperheads and the occasional pigmy rattler to know the average specimen is interested in minding its own business, not random vicious attacks, but I don’t pick them up! I’m told snapping turtles are much less aggressive in water than when one tries to get ‘touching close’ on land.

And what about those mammals? Sea lions like to buzz divers, and may approach in sizable groups. A harbor seal messed with my fin a couple of times when I was hanging midwater diving out of California. People post pics of diving wit bear-sized Stellers Sea Lions, which may put their big mouths (& big teeth) over diver’s heads.

On the shark feed issue, people dive cageless with tiger sharks, bull sharks and big hammerheads, albeit they stay in cages for great white diving. I don’t know what’s involved with oceanic white tip diving off Cat Island in the Bahamas, but I read reports that weren’t about cage diving.

Yes, there are hazards. Someone recently posted a video of an initially ‘friendly’ elephant seal badly mauling a pair of divers. Bull sea lions guarded their harems can be aggressive and dangerous. Sharks do kill some people.

Let’s shift to terrestrial comparators. Can you imagine...

1.) A wolf pack or lion pride rushing in around you to ‘play’ like sea lions?

2.) An adult black bear interacting with you like a friendly harbor seal, maybe getting a belly scratch?

3.) A water buffalo coming up for a belly scratch, manatee style?

4.) What of more mid-size predators, like bobcat, raccoon, coyote, badger, wolverine…that don’t prey on humans, but in the food chain might be regarded vaguely like barracuda maybe?

None of these animals are likely to tolerate a human being in close quarters; most would flee, and if they didn’t, we’d fear attack (or rabies since the animal acted abnormally).

Are large land-based creatures more prone to flee or aggressively guard personal space than sea creatures? If so, any thoughts on why?

Richard.

P.S.: Different examples may get interesting; salt water crocodiles are different to be around than American alligators. Hippos kill a lot of people, but often leave the water at night I've read, and may raid gardens. 'Amphibious' creatures may be a gray area.

FWIW, I have been aggressively "attacked" by both fresh and salt water fish that expected to be fed. By attacked, I mean bitten. In each case they were small, and I was in a place where these fish would normally be fed, so my presence meant food. Why they were aggressive about it is beyond me, but this behaviour from a larger species could spoil your day.
We don't feed bears for a reason, and it's not to keep from spoiling their suppers.

Let's throw in a couple of pics for visual effects. From my California trip last year:

California sea lions. One buzzed me a few times.

thumb_IMG_1465_1024_zpsojlhcbmn.jpg

thumb_IMG_1444_1024_zps3e3d8kxe.jpg

See my fin in the top part of this one? While you can't tell from the pic, take my word for it, that harbor seal is big.

thumb_IMG_2042_1024_zpsyi49o35u.jpg

Now, if a timber wolf in the forest ran by repeatedly 'buzzing' me like a sea lion, or a black bear snuck up and nudged my shoe & I looked back and saw him (even if he fled as this seal did; twice!), I would not have been thinking 'Oh, how cute!' and giving thanks for the bucket list blessing.

On land, I can't think of a wild animal that would go near a human except if it is being enticed with food.
In the ocean, it seems some animals will come up and investigate humans out of curiosity: seals, dolphins, pufferfish even.
Maybe it is because they tell we can't move fast?
Another thought, bears are aggressive to other bears, wolves to outside wolf packs. Seals and dolphins don't seem to have that same personal or territorial aggressiveness to other seals and dolphins. A shark will eat another shark, so it will eat me (!), but seals and dolphins don't really start trouble in any situation.

Last edited:
I think marine mammals are an exception. They are intelligent--curious. Other animals only approach humans if they have been fed by humans, or if they perceive humans as a threat or a potential meal. Octopuses are said to be intelligent, but they tend to run away. I wasn't aware of the pufferfish behavior that Francesea mentions. Any time I have been approached by fish I believe it was because they had been fed by humans.

. I wasn't aware of the pufferfish behavior that Francesea mentions. Any time I have been approached by fish I believe it was because they had been fed by humans.
What I should have realized is that, even though we didn't feed that super friendly pufferfish, previous divers to the same spot may have. It was a night dive and it swam right up to our dive lights.

What I should have realized is that, even though we didn't feed that super friendly pufferfish, previous divers to the same spot may have. It was a night dive and it swam right up to our dive lights.

I suspect some fish have been conditioned to associate the light itself with food. Fish follow divers with lights because the lights attract and illuminate prey. The tarpon in Bonaire love night divers and follow like dogs. I try not to dwell my light on fish because tarpon will swoop in and scarf them down.

Fascinating topic. Here's another perspective.

Without our fear reaction bears, wolves, fox, martin, otters, beaver all can be "friendly" to humans. I'm living a little near the wilderness up here and it's amazing how wild animals interact depending on our expectations.

I tend to be wary underwater too though seals rubbing up on me is as treasured as a wolf approaching for contact.

Curious,
Cameron

I think the big marine fish with the sharp razor like teeth is the most dangerous animals out there. I only say this because the only way they can tell if we are edible is to take a nibble. And unfortunately for us our weak human bodies cannot take a nibble from one of these animals. Like Cameron said it is amazing the interaction that can take place between humans and animals. I have picked up diamond backs and not once did they become aggressive in anyway. I think most animals can tell when we are being a threat towards them and if we are careful and we can interact with them.

In the nature book, "Cry Wolf" a guy learns to live near a wolf pack, by "marking" his territory, and then staying out of their territory, opting for for telephotography. They were respectful when respected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom