Do SSI e-learning material expire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never done a SSI course before.
I am thinking of doing the wreck specialty.

The shop told me that I will get an electronic version of the manual, will that expire or will I get access to it forever ?

My son recently got OW through SSI.... his SSI account now has access to that course academics forever (to include updates as it changes)

I have never done a SSI course before.

The shop told me that I will get an electronic version of the manual, will that expire or will I get access to it forever ?

As a computer systems guy, I would say, "Probably for a long time. Doubtful that it'll be forever."
Companies buy companies. New companies have policies different from the original companies. Technology often changes and at some point an executive with a differing agenda doesn't want to pay for data migration. There can be a plethora of reasons why "forever" might not be a valid expectation. I suspect, as of today, they intend for you to have access for the foreseeable future.

how are SSI e-learning materials made? - are they plain html pages, or PDF file embedded into website, or Flash application?
PADI online materials are Flash which is a total disaster.

As a computer systems guy, I would say, "Probably for a long time. Doubtful that it'll be forever."
Companies buy companies. New companies have policies different from the original companies. Technology often changes and at some point an executive with a differing agenda doesn't want to pay for data migration. There can be a plethora of reasons why "forever" might not be a valid expectation. I suspect, as of today, they intend for you to have access for the foreseeable future.
I am a computer guy and I know what you mean :)

I used the word forever because this summarised what I really want to ask in this question.

do you mind sharing which specialties you already have ? (no matter whichever agency you did them with)

install the ssi app and download all your materials to the device. that way you will have them with you even when offline.

do you mind sharing which specialties you already have ? (no matter whichever agency you did them with)

install the ssi app and download all your materials to the device. that way you will have them with you even when offline.

Sure, why do you want to know ?
  1. PADI AOW
  2. PADI dry suit
  3. PADI Nitrox
  4. I am finishing BSAC Sports Diver, I need to do a club dive to validate. This should be done in early April 2019
  5. March 2019: I’ll do SSI wreck
  6. April 2019: I’ll do a GUE Fundies class

just curious why you choose ssi wreck. wanted to see your chosen courses to maybe get a sense of your goals.
good choices with the dry suit and nitrox. if you have a good instr then i am sure the fundies class will be a big step for you.
are you thinking of working your way to any technical levels ? does the shop you are taling the wreck course with offer any further wreck training beyond the basic course ?

just curious why you choose ssi wreck. wanted to see your chosen courses to maybe get a sense of your goals.
good choices with the dry suit and nitrox. if you have a good instr then i am sure the fundies class will be a big step for you.
are you thinking of working your way to any technical levels ? does the shop you are taling the wreck course with offer any further wreck training beyond the basic course ?
I like to take a single class when I go for a trip, then for the rest of the dives I try to ask the divemaster/instructor if I can work on a certain skill.(can be anything like improving buoyancy, practice DSMB during stop, ...)

Up to now, I found that most of the classes only give you the basics and pointers so you can improve on your own when you dive. So I often ask the divemaster/instructor if I can work to imrpove a certain skill before/during the planning, when I am not in a class.

To be honest, I don’t have huge expectations for the class but they mentioned that the class will teach me how to lay a line, plan a wreck dive, and do a bit of getting inside a wreck.

Agree with you: I will ask if I can work on wreck skills after the class during other dives. My best souvenir from the last trip was that after I asked the DM to work on navigation skills, he told me the plan and itinerary then he let me lead the dive: I really felt great when we found the landmark and it was nice to put skills into practice.

I started diving because I want to progress to cave and wreck diving, so I will have to get technical training. I am only at the beginning though and I just need to get more experience for now.

it sounds to me like you are going about this the right way. you actually want to learn and improve your skills as a diver and not just collect cards. good for you. that attitude will serve you well in the long run. i wish you luck with your future training.

on another note, just for clarification, the basic ssi wreck diving specialty does NOT include training for laying a guide line inside a wreck. it also does NOT include any "penetration" of a wreck. these skills are taught at the more advanced levels. that is why i asked if your shop offers the more adv levels of ssi wreck training. these would include the XR advanced and extended range wreck courses. similar skills would also be offered in any cavern diver class.

my advise to you, based on your goals, would be to complete the fundies class as you intend and continue to dive as much as possible and try to master the new skills that class will teach you.

when you are ready, take a cavern course with an instructor that you trust and are comfortable with. the skills from the fundies class will prepare you for this. the skills learned in the cavern course are primarily the same as you would need for more advanced wreck dives within recreational depth limits.

assuming you are physically and mentally ready to go further, you should then be able to tackle a cave course. don't rush it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom