Do the hoses, which come with Apeks regs have the "crystallisation" problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boyan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We've all read the stories about degrading braided hoses, where the material inside the hoses degrades due to sun exposure and they suddenly stop working.

As far as I know it depends on the type of plastic being used.

Are the hoses, which come with Apeks regs affected by this?

Sorry don't know specifics but the Miflex has some affected in past but the new ones have no issue to the best of my knowledge.

We've all read the stories about degrading braided hoses, where the material inside the hoses degrades due to sun exposure and they suddenly stop working.

Ask Apeks, then post the answer here.

How new are we talking? Just bought works xtx50s. Shouldn't be too old right? Guess I'll ask customer support, I thought they may be active here.
Not a problem with new hoses.

How new are we talking? Just bought works xtx50s. Shouldn't be too old right? Guess I'll ask customer support, I thought they may be active here.

According to every source I've found all the hoses manufactured after 2010 no longer have problems.

Was unaware that the degradation was strictly due to the sun ? Best I recall, the hoses examined/tested were all old, in general, with other factors involved. With that said, I've never had any issues with any Miflex hoses for 10 years or so. I have them on my OC rig and rebreather, no issues. I also change my hoses every 2 to 3 years.

DAN does not name Miflex in this article, but my assumption is that they are the referenced manufacturer that says they have required their supplier to certify the lining material since 2008.
Alert Diver | Air Hoses: A Closer Look

I don’t have the exact date, but I believe once this became a known issue a few years ago, Aqualung/Apeks made sure that all braided hoses on their products were only Miflex brand.

So current Apeks product is certainly not the problematic lining, any older items I would suggest looking for the Miflex name on the hose. The crimp might even include a manufacture date.

And I may as well also mention that DAN recommends changing any/all hoses at 5 years. I don’t think anyone warrants ANY hose to be lifetime indestructible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom