Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can pry, cut things, or menace enemy divers with it. I wouldn't want to to have to cut someone's air hose with a knife that would embarrass Mike Nelson, you know? Plus if you dive with a big hairy chested man knife, you can dive with less lead.

I carry a frickin' laser beam to menace the enemy divers. Works great in low vis! :eyebrow:
This discussion should probably be moved to the evil overlord forum.

Last edited:
only when theirs a chance of entanglement, as in wreck diving where fishing is the norm. Some divers use it as a penis extension,when they strap on a 12" dagger on there calf [usually on the outside of there leg] just waiting to snag any line,rope or another divers hose.I always have one on the boat as a tool.

I am a new diver, and I carry a small BC knife and a pair of shears every dive. The Blue Heron bridge is probably the spot I go to most often, since I can go there and just walk in, so it's a nice easy impromptu dive spot. But there are fishermen on the bridge and at the end of the pier. Sometimes diving there is like a forest of fishing line. There also are the fishermen themselves, who like to try to drop in on top of you :wink: Nearly every time I am there, I have to use my knife to cut myself loose. I have yet to need these in OW situations away from the bridge, but I was raised to never tempt fate:D

My brother gave me a dive knife for christmas one year. I lost it on the first boat dive I made with it. I went knifeless for many dives and never missed having one. I recently added a pair of heavy duty shears which I carry in my BC pocket. It has come in handy on a few occasions below and above water.

I carry one one knife hose mounted and one on my leg. I also carry a pair of EMT scissors in my BCD pocket.

Hmm... I think I will be carrying a knife after reading this thread. I used to be an avid freshwater lure angler. We used Fluorocarbon as leaders for our braided fishing line. Fluorocarbon looks and feels like monofilament line till it is submerged in water. It becomes invisible then.

Dove with a group in Laguna and one of the leader types kinda gave a guy a hard time about carrying a knife...Well it was a pretty big Crocodile Dundee kinda knife. I carry a small blunt knife on my BCD.

Knife and sheath on the left shoulder strap of my backplate with a loop of bunge cord through the handle to slip on my wrist and a bolt snap on the bunge clipped to a D ring if it should slip out of the sheath. EMT shears in a pouch on my right shoulder strap with one of those coiled plastic retainers.
If you are on the bottom and drop it no problem but if you need it mid water and drop it you need some type of lanyard to prevent loss. The wrist bunge allows use of both hands without having to put the knife back in the sheath until finished with it.

I carry one on my calf, recently been thinking about adding a second on my BC. Mine has come in handy when I've been attacked by bad guys and I needed to cut their air hose to get away! :shocked2:

I carry a small knife that's attached to my BC. Never needed it underwater, but have used it a number of times topside for things like cutting off glow sticks after a night dive or removing loose threads from a wetsuit.

James

Back
Top Bottom