Do you dip your SPG into water during service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it OK to dip SPG's thread into ultrasonic cleaner after you remove it from the hose as long as you make sure it's upright and water is not flooded higher than its neck? And hang it in the air make sure it's dry before reassembling it.
Or do you just use Q-tip to clean it? Wouldn't that leave some cotton inside the SPG and make it leak?

are you trying to get the salt deposits off of the threads? I'll dip it in for that as you said, but it's usually not that bad if you soak, not just rinse after salt water diving...

@tbone1004 Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, salt deposits but also some erosion, dirt, oily stuff, etc. inside the thread of SPG.

You can use a small brass wire brush (found in gun cleaning isles) to scrub the salt water build up on the SPG. especially the threads.

I have a special spring clamp with a weight attached that I use to hold the SPG threads in the ultrasonic without flooding the entire thing. Then I dip the threads in fresh water and clean and dry the inlet with a Q tip.

Meanwhile I soak the spool and the swivel of the HP hose in the ultrasonic too and blow the line out by pressurizing the reg. I rotate the swivel a few times in the ultrasonic to break down deposits inside.

@Primary if it's possible, would you please share the photo of your spring clamp? I always want to find or build a similar tool to do that for me.

Haha, it's very high tech!

tbn:ANd9GcQtugkIiibomdVLCLi5r5XgPRBS6pMAbcjqvv7WHRV3qWEDzrsONnlZHfy6ADGC1YQfemHbdqOJPoI&usqp=CAc.png

with a 1lb weight zip tied to it :)

You just hold the SPG so the opening is out of the liquid? Or you hold the SPG out of the liquid so only the threads are in the liquid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom