Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like 500 posts to me. You were the 500th reply, but we're splitting hairs. Let's just grab a beer and celebrate.

snorkel? que'st que c'est?

actually, i heard that someone was going to build a stealth snorkel that could
not be picked up by radar, and i thought to myself.... what a useless invention.

divers already have no trouble not being spotted by the dive boat ... who needs this?

it did look cool, though... and if a breeze caught it, it would get you airborne
for a few seconds at at ime

mikeloyco:
I thought we spoke American in this forum :eyebrow:

ah, ok! sorry for speaking Latin

"que'st que c'est" is Latin for "Pardon me, young man. What time does the
bus leave the station?"

The standard require I have one. I have a foldable (squishable) snorkel I dive with otherwise.

Paul

You shouldn't ever carry a snorkel, after all, you may never need one.

You shouldn't ever put lifejackets in your boat, after all, you may never need one.

You shouldn't bother with trip insurance, after all, you may never need it.

...and so on...

Unless you can guarantee you always will make it to your exit, with air, in conditions which will allow you to do without a regulator or snorkel, you should at least carry one somewhere on your person.

I know a guy, a very good diver, who got caught in a current on a rough day and ended up a 1/4-1/2 mile from where he was expected in deep, choppy open ocean. That got him thinking about the possibilities and how handy a snorkel would've been at that time... he bought a stowaway snorkel that afternoon.

later,

pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
I wear on most of my ocean shore dives. Mainly because such dives around here ften require a 100-200 yd swim out to water deep enough to drop down. I also like them on boat dives if the seas are kicking up a bit. Floating on the surface after the dive while waiting to get back onboard its easier to breath through the snorkel than to get a mouthful of water from the waves. BUT...if I am doing a calm water dive...usually freshwater, I don't feel any real need for a snorkel.

So that `s what that tube dealy is in the bottom of my bag.I though it was for siphoning the water out of my BC! :eyebrow:

So that `s what that tube dealy is in the bottom of my bag.I though it was for siphoning the water out of my BC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom