Do you drink the spring water while diving?

Have you ever purposefully drank spring water you were diving in?

• Yes

Votes: 37 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 35 48.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the ocean we have to bring it in bottles.

I drink gallons of it every day. I tell visitors that I have bottled water on tap. But sure, if I'm in a high-flow cave and no one is upstream, then why not? It's the same stuff that comes out of my well in Suwannee County, Fl.

I drink gallons of it every day. I tell visitors that I have bottled water on tap. But sure, if I'm in a high-flow cave and no one is upstream, then why not? It's the same stuff that comes out of my well in Suwannee County, Fl.
Every well pump I've ever seen has at least a simple filter. Usually a complex one. The EPA requires filtering, although that might not stop a DIY pump install from omitting one.

All the time. In florida, mexico, and france. I just do it in an area thag doesnt appear stagnant or have particulate though that doesnt mean much and it can still make you sick. But I’ve done it on probably 80% of my dives over the past 10 years. I have horrible allergies so ive always got a gunky dry throat even on the rebreather, so a little cook water sometimes is nice.

Every well pump I've ever seen has at least a simple filter. Usually a complex one. The EPA requires filtering, although that might not stop a DIY pump install from omitting one.

I've lived in FL all my life, never seen a single filter on any well pump. The FDEP actually has assumed regulation of the safe drinking water act from the EPA in FL. There are no filter requirements.... If our spring needed to be filtered, Nestlé wouldn't want to take all of it.

The water in the springs we dive in in NFL is no different than any other well.

I've lived in FL all my life, never seen a single filter on any well pump. The FDEP actually has assumed regulation of the safe drinking water act from the EPA in FL. There are no filter requirements.... If our spring needed to be filtered, Nestlé wouldn't want to take all of it.

The water in the springs we dive in in NFL is no different than any other well.
You are mistaken (about nestle). I've lived in a house that had a well, and had a couple friends with wells. All three of those wells had complicated filter systems. I realize that's a very small sample size.

This page is where Nestle describes the filtering they do. Nestle also provide links to the federal requirements for filtering. Both the FDA and the EPA require water to be filtered before it is bottled. Nestlé® Pure Life Purified Water You can't legally sell water in the US which isn't filtered.

You are mistaken (about nestle). I've lived in a house that had a well, and had a couple friends with wells. All three of those wells had complicated filter systems. I realize that's a very small sample size.

This page is where Nestle describes the filtering they do. Nestle also provide links to the federal requirements for filtering. Both the FDA and the EPA require water to be filtered before it is bottled. Nestlé® Pure Life Purified Water You can't legally sell water in the US which isn't filtered.

Your friends just didn't like the taste, or didn't like hard water, but a filter is not required.

Nestlé is full of $hit, I don't believe anything on their website. Please send me any actual federal filter requirements you have. Public supply wells have testing requirements. Again, there is no EPA in FL. FDEP regulates drinking water.

Don't forget about the demise of Frank Martz, one of the pioneers of cave diving. It is thought it was due to an organism he got from spring water.

Your friends just didn't like the taste, or didn't like hard water, but a filter is not required.

Nestlé is full of $hit, I don't believe anything on their website. Please send me any actual federal filter requirements you have. Public supply wells have testing requirements. Again, there is no EPA in FL. FDEP regulates drinking water.
CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21 This is what google came up with from the FDA. I couldn't find the actual rule from the EPA in the 5 minutes I was willing to commit to looking. I did find lots of plain English versions of their rules about filtering. I'm well aware we have the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, I used to build computers for them around 1996-1997. Just because we have a State agency doesn't mean federal rules don't also apply does it?

Please don't take my comments as any kind of defense or endorsement for nestle. They need to GTFO of Ginnie in my opinion.

I will concede that the doc doesn't explicitly require filtering. It does lay out specific purity standards, and there's no way in heck the water in Ginnie meets those as-is IMO. So bottlers would have to do something to meet the purity standard... unless nobody is auditing Nestle's water quality.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom