• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Do you ever wonder why there are not many sharks left in the world?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by Dan, Oct 13, 2019.

1. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    it is banned in 12 states.

Shark fin is banned in 12 U.S. states—but it's still on the menu

2. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

3. Wingy

Wingy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    @Tarponchick - you are very wrong in your 50 year old suspicion - we learnt a lesson and protected species and fisheries from the 70s onwards and have huge marine stewardship programs and major consumer and community awareness programs.

Hence why we have so many big sharks. Hence why you can lose your house for offences against fisheries legislation. Hence why restaurants and supermarkets are obligated to detail origin and in most cases method of catching fish. Our major supermarket chains give me the option of buying pole caught wild tuna from Esperance or farmed salmon from Tasmania if I choose...and there's a tiny cheap crappy selection of Vietnamese caught prawns or farmed basa fillets way down the end most Aussies keep away from. We've done some good things with sustainability of fisheries...no one complains if we have a one day per year an abalone season except new migrants who walk away with a fine anyway....the beaches are lined with fisheries inspectors on the day or days ab season is open. Sure we're not perfect and we screwed up badly with a species 50 years ago but there's a lot of improvements and an entire mindset change worth googling.

4. mac64

mac64 Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Without an international will to stop them we’re helpless. They sit of in international waters.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

Nothing will change until couple of their ships are sunk.

Dan likes this.
  6. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

Sorry if I hurt your feelings but this is simple supply and demand shifting. Fish farming became popular not because consimers of sea food are concerned but because fishing stocks are depleted and can't keep up with the growing demand anymore. Will fish farming save the wild fish in the oceans? I don't know but I am pessimistic, especially when it comes to bigger fish that grow slowly and are easy to hunt.

Wingy likes this.
  7. Wingy

Wingy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    You didn't hurt my feelings lol - just letting you know how far we've come and how seafood consumption has changed in Aus - this TV series exposed some dodgy practices and some resounding successes - well worth a watch How much do we really know about where our seafood comes from?

Australian Seafood Overview · Be Informed · Australia's Sustainable Seafood Guide This link and associated paper and social media advertising plus the current foodie movement are so well known I've even got the app on my phone - I don't buy fish anymore but if I'm buying for my mum I can use the app to basically know the fishes name was Bruce, he was born in Geraldton but resided most of his life in Exmouth and his hobbies were swimming and birdwatching and his favourite food was squid. :rofl3:

chillyinCanada and tarponchik like this.
  8. Dan

Dan Orca

Like these boats

9. Manatee Diver

Manatee Diver Manta Ray

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Although I don't disagree with their punishment (assuming that there was a fair trail) they really should be doing the burning on land. There are a lot of toxins in those boats, and you don't want to release them into the ocean.

10. MrBigfins

MrBigfins Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    This video made me nauseous.