Do you know what a haggis is?

Do you know what a haggis is?

• A small bird that lives in the highlands of Scotland that has lost the use of its wings

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • A traditional Scottish dish made from sheep's stomach lining filled with oats, sheep's liver, onions

Votes: 85 93.4%
  • A small animal not dissimilar to a duck-billed platypus that lives in the highlands of Scotland whic

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
This question is for the Americans amongst us. There was a recent poll carried out in the States regarding haggis, and I wanted to find out if the US diving community were as enlightened as the mainstream American public.

So, here is a poll for you to answer...

Of course.
Doesn't everyone?
Rick

Oh yes... and I've tried it - without knowing what is in it!!!!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Of course.
Doesn't everyone?
Rick

A small animal not dissimilar to a duck-billed platypus that lives in the highlands of Scotland which has legs of varying sizes so it can run rounds hills

Legs shorter on one side than the other seems to be a reasonably common method of identifying gullible newbies...... I've heard it for alpine marmots in the French, Swiss, and Italian alps (so they don't fall over........) I've also heard it in Scotland, and the Pyrenees.

Suprisingly people still fall for it!

Jon

Suprisingly people still fall for it!
I believe that if you look on Google you will find plenty of evidence that haggis have legs shorter on one side of their body than the other. This allows them to walk upright in their native habitat, the hills and glens of Scotland. The only snag is, they can only walk round a hill in one direction.

There was a sub-species that had shorter legs at the front, but this meant that they could only walk UP a hill and so were easily hunted to extinction as they were always found congregating at the top of hills.

Scuba Jim once bubbled...

There was a sub-species that had shorter legs at the front, but this meant that they could only walk UP a hill and so were easily hunted to extinction as they were always found congregating at the top of hills.

There was also a sub species where the females have shorter legs one side, and the males the other....... they could only run round hills in opposite directions, and due to one always falling over when they procreate died out very quickly!

Jon T

Aye right, you may all laugh. I am considering opening up my own dive centre on the shores of Loch Ness, so all the "gullible rich Americans" can come over and go for a dive looking for Nessie. I bet it would make more money than all the centres in Scapa put together.

Peter
PS-Everyone knows a Haggis(hagisium caledoniris) is a small Rabbit like creature.

and there was also a sub species that had longer legs at the front, so tended to congregate downhill. It too is now extinct.

The sad part is, that you are probably right.

Back
Top Bottom