Do you lie about your helium content?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't call it lying but I don't dial-in the exact numbers. I have a set of gases in my JJ Petrel and just pick the next lowest helium %age to whatever diluent I get. So, if I get 18/36 for instance, I'll select 18/30 'cos that's one of the mixes I have in the list.

I don't sweat too much about the correct O2 %age either. I don't have a BOV, so I'm not gonna be breathing the diluent OC. Just pick the nearest mix to whatever I end-up with.
5%, 6% that is slicing hairs

air vs 21/35 is going to be "more" different for the range these gases would be used
15/30 vs 55 is going to be different for the ranges you might use 55% helium

5%, 6% that is slicing hairs
That's why I don't consider it 'lying'. I just don't see any point changing the settings for the sake of a few percent when it's all just 'pull a number from your arse' anyway.

15/30 vs 55 is going to be different for the ranges you might use 55% helium
Anyone using 15/30 needs to take a good long look in the mirror. Using heliair demonstrates a total lack of self-respect :p

I'm of the thought that a little extra deco is worth it, and whenever I've run the profiles the difference is not much, so I don't lie. I think it's pretty well known that 30/30 and 32% deco out pretty much the same and I'm really only focusing on pretty shallow dives on helium. When I've been questioned about why I don't cheat my computer, I don't really have a reason other than I'd prefer not to. I only bring it up because I was being prodded into a discussion about it and the other person made the point that if you run the tables and they're so similar, why not. I didn't really have an argument other than I don't and I'd prefer to do the extra deco. I think it was just one of those conversations where no matter what you say you can't win

That's why I don't consider it 'lying'. I just don't see any point changing the settings for the sake of a few percent when it's all just 'pull a number from your arse' anyway.

Anyone using 15/30 needs to take a good long look in the mirror. Using heliair demonstrates a total lack of self-respect :p

I see no issue with that. I wouldn't call that lying either

I always set the SW to the actual percentages, if it all went a bit wrong it might be even more wrong at the end of a bad day.

Sadly sometimes you have to dive what you have (or can get) :(

I always viewed the lying about He% as a holdover from early trimix computers like the NiteckHe. In all fairness people lie to their sunnto in various ways to avoid 2nd recreational dive NDL penalties too.

I don't lie to my shearwaters and how I feel post dive seems to be strongly correlated with my GFhigh and whether its the 1st or 2nd dive of the day. Maybe its all psychosomatic but seems to be working way better than past approaches which "worked" but were pretty aggressive at the time.

Ahh... the Nitek HE. I spent $1,000 for that computer. I upgraded from the Nitek II and immediately noticed the penalty. I also noticed that if I just entered the O2 content with no Helium, it closely matched the tables generated by Deco Plannner. Anyway, after it added 45 minutes on O2 on a dive to 220fsw, I decided to use it in gauge mode on bigger dives. So I spent $1,000 for a bottom timer to replace a $500 computer that worked just fine. Ah... the good old days...

Ahh... the Nitek HE. I spent $1,000 for that computer. I upgraded from the Nitek II and immediately noticed the penalty. I also noticed that if I just entered the O2 content with no Helium, it closely matched the tables generated by Deco Plannner. Anyway, after it added 45 minutes on O2 on a dive to 220fsw, I decided to use it in gauge mode on bigger dives. So I spent $1,000 for a bottom timer to replace a $500 computer that worked just fine. Ah... the good old days...
We all did that

Within 5%-10%, I won't sweat it (ex. computer being told I have 21/35 and really I'm running 18/45). But something grossly different, like running 10/70 and telling the computer I have 21/35, is a no-no.

Within 5%-10%, I won't sweat it (ex. computer being told I have 21/35 and really I'm running 18/45). But something grossly different, like running 10/70 and telling the computer I have 21/35, is a no-no.

I was talking more like putting in 30 or 32% for 30/30 or air for 21/35. I was told “it’s basically the same thing so no reason not to” as their reasoning. Which is a pretty dumb argument.

Back
Top Bottom