Do you need to pee while diving? Urination and diving explained.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is confusion on whether it is temperature or pressure.

The word "immersion" conflates the two.

I am going to vote for temperature since I get an urge to pee even bobbing at the surface.

Hey, when you got to go you go. You have no choice in this matter. I have a zipper down there ( crotch ) and was re-leaving my self when a small fish came up to me and started to nibble on my small worm, well that's what he thought it was, well that stopped that in a hurry. So if you got to go then GO !

Hey ScubaBoard members. Just wanted to share an article written by Staff Instructor Victoria about what causes that urge to urinate while scuba diving. What do you think?

Fight the Power? More Like Fight the Urge. - Fiji SCUBA Diving with Dive Wananavu Fiji - Bligh Water

When I clicked on the article's link the website indicated that the either the link was broken or the article is no longer there.

After reading other's comments it "appears" that there might be some misunderstanding of the physiology....I do not know.

If there was I encourage the author to rewrite the article and clarify some of those misunderstandings...don't cave in to criticism. If you are confident there wasn't any misunderstandings...stick to your guns and keep it posted.

Just my opinion.

~Oldbear~

Other than level of hydration, I find water temperature to be a major factor. A few years ago when water temperatures were in the 70s all the way to 150 fsw, I went over 100 dives without peeing once. When temperatures are in the 50s and 60s I pee on almost every dive. That's right, I don't lie about it.

What I find interesting is that when I dive in my drysuit (typically in the colder season) I can keep it dry. When I dive wet, I get the urge far more often. I'm always well hydrated (kidney stones) and most dives over here are quite shallow (i.e. 30-40 ft) as below that there is only mud and darkness. So I think the skin squeeze from the wetsuit is an important factor. Peeing in a drysuit whitout a valve would be a predicament :)

I didn't get to read the article in question, but here's an article entitled, "Why Do I Need to Pee Every Time I Dive?"
It is written by a Medical Doctor well known for his ample experience in diving medicine as well as a diver.

Back
Top Bottom