Do you need to take Reg off Pony when not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure obviously doubles (of basically any size) are way better. But especially when traveling to remote vacation places (or even NZ) they often aren't readily available, a pony is the easiest way (apart from sm) to achieve redundancy with some extra gas.
Okay good point, double,s not available would really ruin my day.

Sure obviously doubles (of basically any size) are way better. But especially when traveling to remote vacation places (or even NZ) they often aren't readily available, a pony is the easiest way (apart from sm) to achieve redundancy with some extra gas.
Sidemount's better. Full redundancy and access to all valves and hoses.

Can work if renting two cylinders. Obviously better if they're long and thin, not dumpy 12s.

I wash my slung pony and regulator after use. When it is dry, I put back together, because I consider it one "kit." The hoses stay banded to the tank just as if I were ready to dive. If I leave it disconnected the 1st stage just sort of dangles there and puts unnecessary strain on the hoses. The tank valve is turned off and the regulator purged.

I've not read much here that would convince me to change this practice.

That’s true, I actually see that as a flaw with CCR you’re carrying two different systems.

What??? this makes no sense at all. How is carrying bail outs a flaw with CCR's?!?!? carrying enough bail out to get you or your buddy out of the water safe from the furthest point in the dive is just smart diving. I don't know any CC diver that would not do that. But hey if you think its a flaw and "extra baggage" be my guest and go diving with out the "dead weight"

Good luck

It's kind of an acceptance that CCR isn't as reliable as OC, so one could say that you only need bailout because the CCR will break.

We sort of do that with OC as well in that a twinset or independent cylinders are used for the dive in case of a full breakdown. Obviously not in "recreational" diving which never bothers with your own redundancy; you need to swim to someone else as your backup.

What??? this makes no sense at all. How is carrying bail outs a flaw with CCR's?!?!? carrying enough bail out to get you or your buddy out of the water safe from the furthest point in the dive is just smart diving. I don't know any CC diver that would not do that. But hey if you think its a flaw and "extra baggage" be my guest and go diving with out the "dead weight"

Good luck
If you have to bailout on to OC you must carry enough gas to do it, to me that’s a flaw with CCR. Where did team bailout come from?

On the subject of defining a pony, at the risk of beating a dead horse (sorry): I got a question "wrong" on the e-learning for my SDI Deep course because they define "pony" as exclusively back-mounted; otherwise it's a "sling bottle" or "stage bottle." So it's interesting to learn that's a UK thing and not just a weird agency thing.

Personally, I like to sling my pony on my left side, in order to leave the right side free for carrying grudges.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220310-074456_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220310-074456_Gallery.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 50
On the subject of defining a pony, at the risk of beating a dead horse (sorry): I got a question "wrong" on the e-learning for my SDI Deep course because they define "pony" as exclusively back-mounted; otherwise it's a "sling bottle" or "stage bottle." So it's interesting to learn that's a UK thing and not just a weird agency thing.

Personally, I like to sling my pony on my left side, in order to leave the right side free for carrying grudges.

That's messed up. I would be pissed if I'd missed that question because simply put, they're wrong. A pony can also be a "sling bottle" or "stage bottle". Lousy question design.

Yeah the slingers pretending to tech telling us that flopping a pony around on your front is normal

=1303,977&ownerId=A1IK62AHM51FH5&groupShareToken=IRKp7WG5Q_S2b87KoK7uQQ.sM2AKwLJFWsvslMvIXF9IJ.jpg

Not a diver at all, an abomination

I don't know any CC diver that would not do that.
Hello

If you have to bailout on to OC you must carry enough gas to do it, to me that’s a flaw with CCR.
It's a flaw indeed and of peoples idea of using ccr thinking that every dive is to 500 feet under ice in a hurricane

And then there's the real solo diver stealthily streamlined going about his business

Screenshot 79 (67).png

Unencumbered by the flopping around of following somebody elses ideas without thought and not his own!

Back
Top Bottom