Do you open your eyes in the ocean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really not that bad.......but of course the time to try it for the first time is under controlled conditions (i.e., part of a mask replacement drill at shallower depths when your buddy knows in advance what you're doing) vs. waiting until it gets knocked off unexpectedly......;-)

I'm with Snowbear on this one...salt water isn't an issue, but pool water, fuhgettaboudit.

I've heard that bacteria in seawater can cause contacts to stick to eyes, and that divers wearing contacts should NOT open their eyes in open water because of that. Apparently if one waits long enough after opening your eyes under water with contacts, your eyes will naturally flush the junk out and you'd be ok, but your eyes could be damaged if you remove "stuck" contacts.

I forget where I read that, and I'm pretty new to this, plus I don't wear contacts, but I thought I should say something.

That all said, I have a weird experience to relate about stinging eyes and seawater. When I first get in, when (not if :wink: my mask leaks a little, that water stings and I have to blink a lot to cause my eyes to tear and flush things out. However, if I ditch my mask and replace it underwater, I don't have the stinging.

Go figure.

Ian

I wear contact lenses and have dove and swam both salt and fresh water with lenses. Optemetrists highly recommend daily use lenses or using old lenses and discarding them after submerging in any open water situation due to bacteria establishing themselves on/in the lenses.

Freshwater (applies mostly to Florida springs):

Lenses definitely tend to stick if you open your eyes underwater. I have never even had a lens get loose in freshwater. You need to take special care when removing them, especially if you need to remove them soon after a swim. (This also applies to forgetting to remove them before an evening shower.) Copious use of saline in the eye with careful and gentle coaxing should get a contact out in a couple of minutes with no damage. Waiting a while (1-2 hours) should also allow the eye to achieve salinity balance throughout the lens and "unstick" it.

Saltwater:

Lenses don't seem to get stuck, so your health risks are probably less (disregarding general bacterial encroachment on/through the lens). However, I have lost 2 lenses while at the beach, and in the pathetic 2-3 ft surf in Florida. I imagine the problem is more pronounced in area with heavier surf. I always take extra lenses for this purpose. Of course, on my last trip I was visiting family and left my extra lenses at my relatives' house, so of course I lost a lens and had to go "one-eyed" for the rest of the day! If I had $200 lenses, I would definitely use goggles or a mask anytime I was in saltwater, and would carefully keep my eyes closed during any mask clearing drills.

Are all you contact wearers telling me that you can completely open your eyes underwater while wearing contacts and them not falling out??? :wacko: I can't believe that. Do you have to be at a certain depth or can this be done on the surface? I've been deathly afraid to do this as I have very bad eyesight without them.

Please explain. If you'd like PM me.

Thanks,
David

NatureDiver once bubbled...
Ocean water doesn't hurt at all in my opinion. Main reason for this is because salt water and tears are pretty much the same thing. That also makes it safe to open your eyes in the ocean if you wear contacts. It's a lot like the saline solution that you soak contacts in so it doesn't bother your eyes as much as chlorine and unlike chlorine, it won't just wash your contact out.

Ocean water same as tears??? I don't think so. I can't remember the last time a whale came by and crapped on me. :wacko:

Seriously, the bacteria in the water is extremely had on contacts. Most opthamologist I know and dive with, recommend changing contacts soon after a dive in your eyes if they come into contact with the water.

Don't think there is much contradiction here. Experience by contact wearers shows you can do it without losing your contacts. Common sense and expert recommendations state you should dispose of or at least remove and clean them as soon as possible after exposure to salt water.

My vision is terrible...somewhere in the range of 800 if I remember right with a huge astigmatism, hence the high cost of my contacts. That is the main reason I squint if I have my mask for practice.

Some folks are saying "get the contacts out of your eyes ASAP after surfacing" and some (including me) are saying "if you opened your eyes under water with contacts, you need to wait a while before removing them" ...

???

Not trying to be bullheaded, it just comes naturally.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom