Do you think Nitrox is a deep diving gas?

Is nitrox with O2 greater than air a deep diving gas?

• Yes

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 244 79.0%
  • Are you Nitrox certified?

Votes: 150 48.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At a max PPO2 of 1.4, EAN32 is good to 111 fsw (or 110.88 if you're Walter) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ya I didn't bother to look at the charts, before posting that and don't have the numbers memorized. Plus, from reading various opinions it sounds like 1.2 is a better "working" PPO2. In any case, if you're going to the recreational limits, you need EAN2x

When I dove to the sand at the Bibb off Key Largo (137') I used EAN28, as I was at that time only a PADI EAN diver/instructor. After taking my Goliath Grouper picture, I was surprised to turn and find ALL the EAN32 divers impatiently waiting for their turn.

Topside I learned they were all trained by an agency that at that time used 1.6/1.8, so they were only in the contingency portion of their dive. Shortly after that dive I did IANTD instructor crossover training with Dick Rutkowski and was at that time elevated to 1.6/1.8 training.

As the only real work done at that depth was pointing the camera and depressing the shutter, I would have used EAN32 if I had their training.

You have to remember that for quite a while PADI was opposed to any form of NITROX, it was forbidden (as in not invented here).

It's another one of those cases of: "It truly does boil down to motivation ... if you believe something is hard, or unnecessary to learn, you won't learn it ... even if it's completely within your capability," eh Bob?

a.k.a. - "slightrox" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Haha

Topside I learned they were all trained by an agency that at that time used 1.6/1.8, so they were only in the contingency portion of their dive. Shortly after that dive I did IANTD instructor crossover training with Dick Rutkowski and was at that time elevated to 1.6/1.8 training.

As the only real work done at that depth was pointing the camera and depressing the shutter, I would have used EAN32 if I had their training.

How do you train for using higher oxygen levels? It seems like just a physiological response where you instantly pass out without any warning: how can training overcome this?

I think he meant knowledge as opposed to training.

How do you train for using higher oxygen levels?

You're right.. you don't train for it. Although some people can withstand higher PO2's for longer periods of time than other people

It seems like just a physiological response where you instantly pass out without any warning: how can training overcome this?

This isn't true. There are warnings, and it's not an instant thing once you exceed 1.6 or 1.8 or 2.0 for that matter. The fear method for teaching people about the 1.6 ppo2 is how most people are trained. Don't exceed 1.6 or you can die. In reality. It's not that cut and dry.

When I approach 30 dives in a week, Nitrox significantly reduces my nitrogen loading from where it would've been if I'd been diving air all week. Therefore, Nitrox = good. :D I don't worry too much about the rest of it, as long as my mixes aren't coming out too hot. Then again I tend not to dive deeper than 111' feet...

The two most important skills when it comes to Nitrox are to know what your MOD is (memorized, calculated, or however you know it; just make sure you know it) and how to analyze your tanks. If you always stick with a standard mix like 32%, your MOD easy to remember and the table is simple to memorize.

Back
Top Bottom