Do you use a conservative setting on your dive computer?

Do you set your dive computer to be more conservative?

• Yes, I always use the more conservative setting

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • No, I always use the least conservative setting

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Sometimes, I change the setting from time to time

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • My dive computer does not have an ability to change how conservative it is

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I don't know if my computer has a way to change how conservative it is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Many dive computers have the ability to be more conservative. You can set the computer to give you a shorter time to NDL. So do you use this or just leave the dive computer on the least conservative setting?

Conditions, workload and other factors change even during a dive. I therefore like a DC where you can change the shape based on these changes with applied common sense. Generally during rec (ndl) dives I keep the settings as-is.

The Suunto "haters" will shortly add their bit.

Having given up VPM in favor of gradient factors, I'm not sure how to answer. Is 70/70 more or less conservative than 20/90, and how much helium do I have to add to the equation before your answer changes? One thing I do like is that on my SWs, I can change the surfacing limit anytime I want during the dive. If I suspect I might need more of a cushion, I can punch in a lower surfacing GF and see what that does to my ascent profile and gas requirements; conversely, if I want to generate a 99/99 GTFO of Dodge profile because something has gone seriously wrong, that's available too.

I have stopped caring about NDLs. Whether the computer says I have 45 minutes of NDL or 30 minutes of NDL and 15 minutes of deco obligation for a given BT/gas is computer semantics...my gas loading isn't changing because the screen says I do or don't have NDL time left. If it's marginal, the more conservative approach would be to plan for and do the stops (IMO).

My dive computer (Mares Icon 4.0) is already pretty conservative so I voted no. I'm only 67 and when I get old I will probably bump the conservative setting up.

I'm with Lecter, being able to control the GF's on the Petrel is huge, especially since all dives are different. A nice easy relaxing cave dive is a lot different on the body than cold wreck diving in currents, so I change my GF's accordingly.

Almost always bump up 10% and do whatever light deco my plan calls for. Don't like to exceed 15min, starts getting 'technical' and more junk to carry.

Since I have fairly conservative computers I use the most liberal settings.
I'll revisit those shortly as I'm changing computers that allow the use of GF's.

I wear two dive computers. One is more conservative than the other. I try to dive it most of the time but knowing what the other tells me gives me some "safe" wiggle room

My primary computer is a Petrel as Dr. Lecter and Tbone mentioned above, so it's hard to answer from that perspective.

When I was diving my Hollis DG03 (more "normal" conservatism settings) I always dove with least conservative status. If I was doing a NDL dive, I'd always thumb it a few minutes before my NDLs. Moreso if I was in bad shape/conditions, less so if I knew I was comfortable, warm, and well hydrated. If diving in deco, I'd normally make sure to ascend extra slowly and give my 20ft and 10ft stops a couple of extra minutes. Normally, I'd clear deco (light deco) before even switching to O2 but I'd give myself a few minutes on O2 at 20ft and 10ft just to be sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom