Do your short doubles make you head heavy?

How do your short doubles trim out? (without trim weights)

• Head heavy

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Horizontal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slightly pitched back (optimal)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Foot heavy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small in what sense?
Filled to the same 13% overpressure (3750 PSI), MP72s hold 80 cubic feet. With their thicker walls, I bet it will be easier to convince the fill technition to give me a 4500 PSI fill where they hold 98 cubic feet of gas. I'll be negative as all hell, but a redundant bouyancy device should midigate thoes risks. Anyways, I would rather get LP85s than LP66s as the 85s hold 95 cubic feet of gas at a 13% overpressure (3000 PSI). Additionally, you see my profile picture. I just bought all of that, so I've got to get rid of alot of used gear before I start buying expensive cylinders.

Here's the picture of my HP 80s
I really like how you put "voodoo gas" on your cylinders. However, I don't like the boots. The reason being is because DIR teaches (DIR is like a cult, really) that you don't need boots as you should either be wearing the rig or you should have them layed down. Plus that an extra $20 you can put towards more useful gear.

The reason being is because DIR teaches (DIR is like a cult, really) that you don't need boots as you should either be wearing the rig or you should have them layed down.

Do you lay down on them to don?

Do you lay down on them to don?

No, it's a simple balancing act. The arguement is that you shouldn't leave your gear standing up unattended. When you are donning, they are attended and thus can be stood up. That would be funny though.

Last edited:
Filled to the same 13% overpressure (3750 PSI), MP72s hold 80 cubic feet. With their thicker walls, I bet it will be easier to convince the fill technition to give me a 4500 PSI fill where they hold 98 cubic feet of gas. I'll be negative as all hell, but a redundant bouyancy device should midigate thoes risks. Anyways, I would rather get LP85s than LP66s as the 85s hold 95 cubic feet of gas at a 13% overpressure (3000 PSI). Additionally, you see my profile picture. I just bought all of that, so I've got to get rid of alot of used gear before I start buying expensive cylinders.
3750 is already an overfill. You will be hard pressed to get that especially given the age of whatever MP72 cylinder you bring in and the fill stations opinions of it, justified or not. You will not be getting a 4500 psi fill so I hope you are not factoring that capacity into your planning.

Maybe if you share some of your expected dive profiles we can steer you towards a more appropriate tank size.

Is he forced to do that because the tank heights are short and the 11" band spacing puts it there? I am trying to recall a previous thread where I think he discusses this.

No, it's a simple balancing act. The arguement is that you shouldn't leave your gear standing up unattended. When you are donning, they are attended and thus can be stood up. That would be funny though.

I usually doff on a paved slope, standing up, and the boots make that easier. I lay them down whenever I leave them.

I usually doff on a paved slope, standing up, and the boots make that easier. I lay them down whenever I leave them.

Good arguement... I might consider the sacrilege of using a tank boot for donning from standing. I still think they should be removed atleast for storage so that you can prevent corrosion. Ofcourse, I could just have my buddy/team member hold them up while I don them. I am usually the first person to put my gear on as I am young and strong so I can help others put their gear on while I'm already wearing mine. Whatever works for you is fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom