Do your springs pop off your mushrooms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
(No, not a Mario reference -- I was more of a Colossal Cave type.)

After a couple of years of sadness with the original straps, I finally got springs for my side-post fins*.

(OG Jetfins forever -- but these Oceanic Accel are a lot nicer to travel with.)

So, if you're putting these on side post fins, there's a bolt intended to keep them from popping back off the mushroom. There's no risk of popping off when worn, but in the bag, or wrassling through the surf or up the ladder, turns out it's possible:

fin strap block pix (16).pngfin strap block pix (12).pngfin strap block pix (14).pngfin strap block pix (13).png

Oops!

So, in my typical pattern of overly complex solutions for things that aren't much of a problem, I offer you not just one but two different designs for preventing pop-off.

The first is a space-filler that is locked in place by the retention bolt that's not doing it's job.

fin strap block pix (3).png fin strap block pix (7).pngfin strap block pix (9).png

The second fills the entire bracket space, and is locked in place by the spring bolt -- theoretically the retention bolt isn't even needed, though you can keep it.

fin strap block pix (4).png fin strap block pix (6).png fin strap block pix (11).png fin strap block pix (15).png

(The copper filament is just what I had loaded today -- for real use you should print in Authorised Black or OBOD Instant Death Orange. :) )

Thingiverse:Spring Fin Strap Retention Block by lairdb

(*Unsolicited endorsement of getwetstore on eBay -- inexpensive, quick ship, and literally the only vendor I found with clear precise documentation of spring strap measurements.)

I've used garden hose washers for years. They work great!

I've used garden hose washers for years. They work great!

Ha! Excellent!

I got a small diameter AL pipe as a sleeve for the front screw then wrapped it in layers of wire shrink wrap to make it thicker. Works pretty good.

I also saw a guy just cut the mushrooms off and use SS through bolts

Got a picture of that?

@Divehead I don't know why you need a picture but here it is. The washer is green.
finwasher.JPG

Could you also upload the stl of the metallic bracket. Thanks in advance.

As long as we can agree it's just an approximation.

Attachments

• multiblock - clip approx.stl
    219.8 KB · Views: 101
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom