DOA after Coast Guard rescue - Beavertail State Park, Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver pronounced dead following attempted water rescue
JAMESTOWN, R.I. (WPRI) – A man has died following a day of diving in the water around Beavertail State Park.

The Coast Guard confirmed to Eyewitness News the male diver was pronounced dead upon arrival at Kent Hospital in Warwick Sunday afternoon.

A spokesperson for the Coast Guard could not confirm exactly what time the diver was first reported in distress, but a witness says it was around 1-2 p.m.

Coast Guard Station Castle Hill picked up the victim off the diving boat, and brought him back to shore. An ambulance met the Coast Guard at Castle Hill, and drove the victim to a life flight location, where he was subsequently flown to Kent Hospital.

The victim’s next of kin is being notified, so the Coast Guard would not release any additional identifying information.

The cause of the diver’s death is under investigation Sunday.

I didn't know the guy, but another friend of mine does, and his wife had a baby just a few weeks ago. I live across the bay from where this happened. I've never been diving at Beavertail, but have dove just a little ways up the coast from there.

I got some more info from local news reports that I copy/pasted below. But first, a couple comments of my own:

The articles below have conflicting info about which hospital he was taken to. Newport would be much closer, but Kent has a chamber, so I don't know which correct, or if maybe he was taken to Newport by ambulance, and then to Kent by life flight helo.

The run from Beavertail to the CG station would only be a few min by CG rescue boat.

From local news reports:

JAMESTOWN, R.I. (WPRI) – A man has died following a day of diving in the water around Beavertail State Park.

The Coast Guard confirmed to Eyewitness News the male diver was pronounced dead upon arrival at Kent Hospital in Warwick Sunday afternoon.

A spokesperson for the Coast Guard could not confirm exactly what time the diver was first reported in distress, but a witness says it was around 1-2 p.m.

Coast Guard Station Castle Hill picked up the victim off the diving boat, and brought him back to shore. An ambulance met the Coast Guard at Castle Hill, and drove the victim to a life flight location, where he was subsequently flown to Kent Hospital.

The victim’s next of kin is being notified, so the Coast Guard would not release any additional identifying information.

The cause of the diver’s death is under investigation Sunday.

----------------------------------

JAMESTOWN, R.I. (WLNE) – The man that drowned Sunday afternoon after scuba diving in the waters off of Beavertail State Park has been identified.

Jesse M. Andrade, 35, of Attleboro, drowned Sunday at approximately 1:00 p.m.

Officials say Andrade had been out on a boat with a group of divers when something went wrong in the water.

Andrade was taken to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

--------------------------------------
JAMESTOWN — A man died after scuba diving Sunday afternoon in the waters near Beavertail, according to the Coast Guard and the Newport Fire Department.

The man’s identity has not been released. Newport Fire Department Deputy Chief Andrew Elder said the man had no identifying documents with him.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Nicole Groll said they received an emergency call about a scuba diver in distress near Beavertail on Sunday about 1 p.m. He was taken from the vessel that rescued him to the Castle Hill Coast Guard Station in Newport.

Elder said the Fire Department received a transport request from the Coast Guard at 1:02 p.m. and a rescue vehicle was ready to transport at 1:05 p.m. Elder said the time the Coast Guard boat arrived was not logged, but the rescue left from Castle Hill at 1:42 p.m. to bring the man to Newport Hospital.

Coast Guard rescue personnel and Newport firefighters administered CPR to the man throughout the drive to the hospital, Elder said. The man was brought into the hospital’s Emergency Department about 1:48 p.m. and pronounced dead at 2:09 p.m., he said.

The state Department of Environmental Management, which manages the state park at Beavertail, is responsible for investigating the incident and notifying family members, Elder said. Efforts to reach DEM were unsuccessful Monday afternoon.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom