Doc wants to put me in chamber - does this really sound like DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Big Vig

Registered
Reaction score
Hello - I am an American traveling in a foreign land. Went diving this week twice, both two tanks. Yesterday, first dive to about 80 feet, did a safety stop at 15 feet, felt fine. Second dive was supposed to be about 45 feet but I drifted down to 65 and triggered my Suunto computer's NDL and had to do a 9-minute safety stop, which I did. My throat was a little sore during and after the second dive.

Last night, my right sinuses started feeling clogged. Didn't sleep well and this morning had a lot of thick yellow discharge, the kind I associate with the sinus infections I got as a kid. Headache on the right side of my head. No tingling or numbness. I don't see any spots on my skin.

Just saw a doc on the island here. His accent was thick so we had some trouble communicating. I don't have a fever, so he ruled out flu. He gave me a shot of toradol in my butt and then said if tomorrow morning I'm not feeling better I should come in and they'll put me in the decompression chamber for a 6-hour session.

I'm skeptical. I feel like I have a bad sinus headache. My joints don't hurt, I don't have spots on my skin, no neuropathy. Does this sound like DCS?

Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks.

....triggered my Suunto computer's NDL and had to do a 9-minute safety stop, which I did.
Unplanned decompression, for 9 minutes at a stopdepth of 3m to 6m. That's enough to make all the caution-bells ring loudly.
What did DAN say?

Upload your dive profiles for us to see.

Well, it was a Suunto :wink:

Yea, accidently dropped my Suunto in a bucket of water the other day. It made me wait 3 minutes before reaching in and bringing it to the surface. :)

Yea, accidently dropped my Suunto in a bucket of water the other day. It made me wait 3 minutes before reaching in and bringing it to the surface. :)
I sure hope you did the 15" safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom