Doc wants to put me in chamber - does this really sound like DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A chamber treatment during a sinus infection sounds dreadful. See if your dive master or owner of the dive shop can help direct you to an appropriate professional on the island.

That professional will be back on duty tomorrow, is my understanding.

Update: I'm fine, other than the sinus problem. Went back to the dive shop to fill them in and they said the clinic I went to almost always recommends divers go into the recompression chamber. I guess if a diver has insurance, they'll think, What's the harm? And the clinic will get paid.

Two red flags for the weekend physician who saw me.

- He gave me a shot of toradol, an anti-inflammatory. In my day's reading while wondering if I had mild DCS, I saw that anti-inflammatories are not recommended in cases of suspected DCS, because they can mask symptoms.
- Doc asked me how deep I went. When I said, "Eighty feet," he shook his head and said I should only dive to 60.

So I'd say he's not well-versed in dive medicine. DAN referred me to Dr. Daniel Gonzalez, so he is a reputable dive doctor for anyone who needs one on Ambergris Caye. I couldn't get ahold of him yesterday though.

Update: I'm fine, other than the sinus problem. Went back to the dive shop to fill them in and they said the clinic I went to almost always recommends divers go into the recompression chamber. I guess if a diver has insurance, they'll think, What's the harm? And the clinic will get paid.

Two red flags for the weekend physician who saw me.

- He gave me a shot of toradol, an anti-inflammatory. In my day's reading while wondering if I had mild DCS, I saw that anti-inflammatories are not recommended in cases of suspected DCS, because they can mask symptoms.
- Doc asked me how deep I went. When I said, "Eighty feet," he shook his head and said I should only dive to 60.

So I'd say he's not well-versed in dive medicine. DAN referred me to Dr. Daniel Gonzalez, so he is a reputable dive doctor for anyone who needs one on Ambergris Caye. I couldn't get ahold of him yesterday though.

I've been to dr. Gonzales but for something completely unrelated to diving. He took good care of me. He's well spoken of by other expat locals as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom