“Doc’s Pro Earplugs”: Does any know anything of these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use them but then after learning to equalized and diving more often then the average diver, I never use them again. Actually I lost it at Point Lobos last Saturday. :)

I use them and like them - but use them for a different reason than most divers.

I have difficulty with my ears draining after a days diving. So, on a dive vacation after two/three days at 5 per it can become a problem.

Doc's proplugs prevents most of the water build up in my ear and the above does not become an issue.

I know that I am late to this thread but I have to put in my .02... After my first couple of OW dives last year my ears hurt MAJORLY. I posted asking for help and someone recommended Pro-plugs. I have purchased a set, dove them several times, and think they are awesome. Like another poster said, cheap solution if they work and mine work great...although my next set will be red...my LDS didn't have red...

Flatliner
aka Robert

get the ear drops from the doctor they work alot better then the pills... i have gotten swimers ear every single year around november... i goton so used to it i just pu it in when i feel its starting and it goes away in a day or 2 but 1 advantage i have is i can easly equlize my ears because of swimers ear... i got used to poping my ears when tehy are infected and hurt so the pain would go away that i can do it any time i want when ever i want by just barly moveing my mouth..

the funny thing is alot of people ask me when i dive are my ears bugging me as i can desend faster then most people.. and they dont when i do feel it i just go up 1 ft and equlize them then go down further.. i tried the ear plugs and i didnt like them at all but i dont like ear bud head phones eather..

Hi Folks,

I was doing a search online and came on this thread regarding the Docs ProPlugs. I work at Docs and I can answer any questions you all may have regarding the plugs and without breaking forum rules or spamming I can get anyone the plugs directly from here at the warehouse if you cannot find them locally. Check online at www.proplugs.com and to order you can reach me at proplugteam@proplugs.com

Not trying to sell the plugs here just giving anyone a place to get them if their shops locally dont carry them.

Sorry for the lame 1st post - Happy Diving

I have had ear problems most of my dives, I tried the vinegar and alcohol solution last week for 3 different dives and had no probs. except it was boring with my head tilted to each side for 5 minutes each but, again I had no problems, may try these earplugs though also anyone else try the olive oil? and does it have to be the extravirgin olive oil???

Doc's ProPlugs are preformed earplugs made out of a plastic called Kraton. The vented (fenestrated) Proplugs are the design that is recommended for surfers and divers alike, they come in fire engine red and clear, and also with a leash connecting the two plugs or without a leash. The non-fenestrated proplugs are non vented and are ideal for surface swimming and bathing.

There are eight different premolded sizes; guaranteed to fit 95% of the population. The one catch to get the best out of your 8-10 $ is to make sure you get fitted (I cannot stress this enough) as sizes range from Tiny to XX-Large.

The vented hole design allows for safe and easier equalization. Pressure change is made less abrupt as surface tension is created when water tries to pass through the vent hole. The plugs prevent water from flushing in and out of the ear canal so as to cut down on ear infections.

Doc's Proplugs continues to support and provide safety to the U.S. Freediving Team, the Performance Freediving Team, and individual diving record breakers like Tanya Streeter, and Brett LeMaster.

First thing first:
Huge thanks to all for their replies!

Nice yeah, i wish i knew about it before i got my 100-dollar atomic mask :rofl3:
Anyway, i dive mostly in Long Island and New Jersey so i wear 7mm suit with the hood and soon to be using dry suit exclusively throughout the year. And that pro-ear mask requires a proprietary hood, which is not awailable in dry version.
So Pro-plugs for me i guess. I already got a fitting kit from Leisure pro. It's just 3 blocks from me.

I was able to get my Ear Pro mask for $48.88, a small price to pay for being allowed to dive without expensive ENT visits to correct infections after the dives. As for hoods, you can cut holes in a regular hood to accomodate the suction cups of the mask.

I recently obtained a pair of Doc's Pro Plugs to use in addition to the Pro Ear mask to double protect my ears (in case of ear flooding or other problems that we know can always occur). Will keep you up to date as to how the two work together. My first tryout will be tomorrow.

For what it's worth, a few of my co-workers swear by them. We do five 40 minute dives a day, 23' max, and they've done wonders for them.

John

I have to say, the picture of swimmers ear on Docs web site about made me lose my lunch:

Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection

Hopefully, it also made you appreciate what some people suffer with their ear problems, and their desire to search for ways to make diving possible while preventing their ears from looking like this.

BTW, I went for a two tank dive yesterday using the Doc's proplugs for the first time along with my "dork" mask, and I couldn't even tell I had anything in my ears. They were extremely comfortable and I felt very confident about the ability to keep my ears safe from bacteria in the water. Equalizing my ears was a breeze. I even kept them in on the boat during the SI because the vented plugs don't block out sound, so my ears also were kept protected from the salty wind leaving deposits in my ears. My ears are in perfect condition today, and I'm looking forward to diving again tomorrow and Sat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom