“Doc’s Pro Earplugs”: Does any know anything of these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone;

I wanted to share some footage of the Proplugs in action. We just received some files from our people in Italy and it has got me bouncing off the walls! The footage was shot underwater in the island of Sassari, Italy by a medical staff at one of their hospitals. The study was also documented by a handful of doctors.

vid: www.proplugs.com/media/plugsinaction.mpg
document: www.proplugs.com/media/SIMSICongress2006.doc

It is true, the proplugs do work to help prevent otitis, exostosis, and ruptured ear drums, as well as making equalization easier.

For maximum protection you could use the whambam combo of pro-ear2000 + Doc's Proplugs like Jupitermermaid suggested (btw thanks for the trial eval!).

Cheers;

As an update, I've been on 43 dives since I started using Doc's Proplugs in late Nov. (I know, I know....I've been called a dive h* by many of my friends.....lol. They have never failed me. My pro ear 2000 mask strap busted while on a dive in Jan., and I was so thankful I had the proplugs as a backup for that particular dive. Since then, I've bought a "regular" mask that I use when just doing a two-tank dive on a weekend with the proplugs and dive confidently without the proear on a regular basis. I use both when I'm doing 8 or more dives a weekend or on continuous daily diving. I have not had a problem with my ears since I started using the proear 2000, the combination of the proear and Doc's proplug's, or the proplugs on their own. My ENT will have to look at my chart to refresh his memory of me the next time I visit him.....lol

I picked up a pair at last year's Beneath the Sea and tried them out this past summer. I lost one on the first dive! Maybe I didn't put it on right but now I only have one so I stopped using it.

That's what I liked about having the "double protection" of the proear with the proplugs....if one fell out the cup held it until I surfaced. It takes practice to get them in properly. I would suggest getting another pair (if you're interested....they're cheap enough) and put them in and wear them for several minutes around the house, then remove them, just for practice of inserting and removal of them. Another cause of loss could be that you had the wrong size. There are eight different sizes, and if yours were too small or too large they wouldn't fit snug enough to stay in place.

I like my Doc's Pro Plugs, and they really help with swimmer's ear issues/vertigo/warmth, etc. Wish I would have bought the red ones though because it's hard to keep up with the clear ones between dives and in the water. Also, they pop out of my ears frequently when equalizing, doing a back roll from a boat, or moving my jaw. That may be because I'm not wearing the correct size.

The benefits outweight the negatives in my opinion, especially with multiple dives over one or more days, so I recommend them.

Yes, it's critical to have the correct size. My first pair were too small, and when I ordered the next size larger I had less problems with them dislodging from my ear. I have the red ones and really like the way they fit, feel, and work to keep my ears dry, equalized, and free of foreign bacteria that can create havoc with my ears.

When you go in the shop, have one of the salespeople help you with the sizing chart to determine the right fit for you. It's easier to have someone else look head on. Good luck and happy diving! (By the way, I love your dive art! I'm going to have to order a tee shirt.)

Back
Top Bottom