Doctor won't sign medical release. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewST:
UPDATE:

If he slipped and fell while carrying scuba, he would be hurt I am sure. He is over 50 years of age, so lets hope he doesn't fall.
WOW! That's really old. I didn't think people that old were allowed to scuba dive, much less go near the water, unless their family put them on an ice floe.

Okay, I have to reply to this :wink: I'm 63 years old, an ex-NAUI instructor and am still diving, a lot of it in rivers, solo. Age has nothing to do with whether a person can dive or not (within reason--past 95 and maybe I'd hesitate).

I don't knowthe exact problems here with this diver, but having had major back surgery isn't necessarily a contra-indication for diving. It may be a contra-indication for carrying heavy gear topside though, which means using wheeled equipment carts, or other people, to get to the dive site. If he has supporting divers, and they are willing to help out, there is no reason he cannot dive. Cousteau dove into his seventies, and with underlying medical conditions, but with the support and help of his crew. He does need to adhere to the instructor's and the agency's rules, though that probably is not a problem.

There are conditions that each of us need to understand that make a dive site undivable. I have a little thing that I use to make that determination--if the question of whether to dive or not comes into my head, I don't dive. The fact that the question came into my head shows that there is something there that I'm not comfortable with; any decision to dive after that question comes is a rationalization to continue the dive. This is recreational diving, not professional or rescue diving (which I've done previously). I came to this realization many years ago when my dive buddy and I looked over an Oregon coast open-ocean dive site for half an hour to determine whether we could dive. We ultimately decided that it was divable, got into the water, and the 4-6 foot waves turned to 15-20 foot waves, and we were ultimately picked up by the Coast Guard after 3+ hours in the water. Thank goodness for girl friends that day. From that time on, I used this rule to make the decision, and it has not failed me. Last year in the spring I looked at my favorite dive site in the Clackamas River, and saw that it was 3 feet higher than I had ever seen it (spring run-off). It was "un-divable," so I went back to the car, and drove over to a bicycle shop to talk bicycles. Realize that each and every one of us has limitations, and water conditions can be found that will exceed any of our abilities. Don't push it, and listen to your subconscious.

SeaRat

Last edited:
As a 58 yr old with football knees and a shoulder in need of surgury I can sympathize with your father. One suggestion I would make. If it were my dad I would make sure that one of his dive buddies was a rescue diver. Either you and or others, but you want someone there "just in case" that is trained to get him back to shore. Good luck to both of you.

Okay, I have to reply to this :wink: I'm 63 years old, an ex-NAUI instructor and am still diving, a lot of it in rivers, solo. Age has nothing to do with whether a person can dive or not (within reason--past 95 and maybe I'd hesitate)...

SeaRat

I'm over 50 and was only being a smart arse regarding the OP's comment. I frequently dive with people that are well into their 70s and they do just fine.

I'm 62 and have dived far deeper and more frequently in my 50s and 60s than I did in my teens and 20s.

As for the OP, have you contacted Michael Jackson's doctor? I hear he will sign or prescribe anything... for the right price! Just teasing.

Hi Andrew,
It seems that what is generally a requirement can not be met due to the back injury. These requirements are based on general SCUBA diving where (strong) winds, currents, beach entries/exits etc CAN be applicable at certification level.
Despite the 'stigma' of handicapped diving organizations like the IAHDS have people specially trained to evaluate and adjust training to meet special needs, like in your fathers case. The certification given through such an agency will list the special needs and the local dive center can evaluate the dive site and buddys to ensure that any special needs can be met.
Organisations like the IAHDS are non-profit and have enthusiastic volunteers with the divers best interest at heart. I think that you will not be disappointed if you go down this road.

Or the road of the original, Handicapped SCUBA Association HSA who likewise has trained instructors.

My measely two cents (speaking as someone with a bad back):

Pre back injury I was an avid swimmer, hiker, etc. but after my back injury my stamina, core strength and muscle tone went very quickly. It took 3 years post-surgery to get back to decent shape and I have to work at it weekly to keep my core strong enough to reduce back pain.

Not sure what physical shape your father is in but from the sounds of it he needs to focus on getting stronger. Core strength is essential to good back health, and stamina is an often overlooked necessity to scuba.

Surface swims are tiring. Lugging equipment, even just getting out of the water after a dive, is hard on the back. If the pool sessions are difficult, then 2 foot waves and 300 feet off the boat would worry me. (and that is not as far fetched as you may think)

If he is able to spend a couple of months on a focused training regimen including a strong cardio program for stamina, then perhaps his doc or a another doc will be able to approve him.

As 'relaxing' as scuba sounds, it is actually alot of work. You read all the time about heart attacks in part because of the work out we get doing this.

It is frustrating to have to always compensate for a bad back. But it can be done. If he gets cert'd he'll want to read the other tips on SB about how to manage the weight, gearing up, etc.

Good luck.

My whole spine is not fused but 3 vertibrea are. I did disclose the surgery on my release form. I did get clearance from the orthopedic surgeon that gave me my care. I completed the course, PADI, and I have completed several dives. Once in the water, I am weightless and find that many of the "lack of mobility" problems are not an issue. I can don my equipment and get off the boat with a little difficulty, (bending down to zip my boots is at times tricky), I ask for help with my gear when coming up the ladder after the dive. I take off my BC in the water and they grab it and pull it out of the water for me. I could do this on my own but find that it is nice to have the help. I love this sport and will continue it as long as possible. I consider it part of an active life, the exersize is good for me. I no longer ride dirtbikes or ride snowmobiles because of the jolting and bouncing that happens. I don't recall for sure but I am pretty sure when I did the swim for the certification that we could do it freestyle. I don't have that many dives but if the water is too rough I would not be against aborting the dive. I am not going to do any tech diving, I am not interested in it. Hanging out at 40-50' in tropical waters looking at and taking pictures of the fish and corals are my only intentions. It is my responsibility to abort the dive if I am not comfortable with it. The idea that liability is the issue is absolutly insane and is part of what is wrong with this country. Personal responsibility is necessary in all activities.

Just wanted to let people know that some injuries don't end a desire to dive. Use your training and your brain to decide what is right for you. Not everyone wants to "Dive the Doria", some of us are content with recreational diving.

It is good that your father went back to see his Ortho surgeon to get the waiver, I would have suggested that regardless of whether or not his primary care physician signed it or not.

I was concerned about the medical clearance as well, having played football through college and having had multiple ortho surgeries. Fortunately, my doctor was also on my LDS dive team so he was extremely familiar with the needs and limits of diving. I was even more fortunate that on my OW certification dives, he was out on the dive boat with us- purely by coincidence.

I realized that if I did have a medical problem which made a physician uncomfortable with signing my medical form, I could've backtracked by finding a doctor who was also a diver. Obviously no one should try to circumvent rules in place for one's own safety but sometimes you need someone who's familiar with the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom