Doctor won't sign medical release. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is the 200m swim? :confused: lol I never did that- or was explained to be doing it when I was certifiying ... Ok I am now thinking my certification was a group nightmare I was a part of... Not sure why it seemed so real :p

My father is getting back into diving after 34 years, and things have changed, in the sport and for himself. Basically his situation is his entire spine is fused, he had a horrible dirt bike accident and a few other accidents that caused disk damage. After several surgeries he now has a fused spine...the whole thing.

During his Cert course he wasn't able to complete the 200m swim, after his failed attempt, and injury to himself at this swim the instructor found out about his issue. He told my father to go see his Doctor and get the doctor to sign a medical release. With the release my father can skip the swim and continue on.

PROBLEM: Doctor refused to sign the damn release! He told my father if he did he would be open to a lawsuit if something happen. Now this Doctor has been my family's Doctor for over 30 years! I think the man is nuts in his age, but that doesn't change the situation. My father even offered to sign a Liability Release for Doctor. Still No. I guess one solution would be find a new doctor, but anyone else run into this sort of deal, how did you handle it and get it resolved?

Find a real Doctor! Not a Duck who knows nothing of water or water therapy, I don't know of a better why to re-leave pressure on a injured spine? :idk: Sign a release releasing the Doctor:wink: Find a Diving Doctor who drives a car instead of a buggy.

Nope. The instructor has to teach "an appropriate deep water entry".

Back roll is only the most appropriate for certain types of boats. If there is a suitable step or platform available, then the 'giant stride' entry is more appropriate.

Can you say ADA? Stick with the tech:wink: Or a Davit if that is what you need......

Just remember water is a great equalizer and dolphins don't have legs, but I would buddy with one:wink: This is SCUBA not rocket science sorry to burst a few macho bubbles, but he just has to know his limits and dive within them, don't see the problem? You don't tell someone they can't or you might be summing your own life up, because most can.....:)

My disability was the major contributing factor for my decision for getting back into sport diving. Water therapy is pretty much my only option for physical fitness/training because i have severe arthritis in all my joints not to mention sitting around the house has caused me to gain a lot of weight in the past couple of years :goingdown::goingdown: and being in water takes the stress off of my joints. I am very aware of my limitations and I am much more comfortable and have a lot more mobility with a pair of fins in the water than hobbling around on land with this cane or on bad days a walker.
I don't plan on doing any more wreck, cave, offshore or open water dives but doing unlimited bottom time dives is well within my ability's

Of the OP's Dad can Do water therapy I am having a hard time seeing why he cannot snorkel and do some light diving within his ability:goingdown:

Find a real Doctor! Not a Duck who knows nothing of water or water therapy, I don't know of a better why to re-leave pressure on a injured spine? :idk: Sign a release releasing the Doctor:wink: Find a Diving Doctor who drives a car instead of a buggy.

LOL I agree 100%:D

After a spine surgery I took a deep water jogging class, I did research on it because I was unsure if I was doing more damage than good. I found out people pay big bucks for pretty much the exact classes I was taking (phys. ed. @ my school offered this). Also it seems this has been well studied over time to be very useful to the spine injury/healing process. It isn't hard to find tons of information on water therapy for spine injuries online. It is suggested as a top therapy, which makes since, in water you don't carry your weight like you do in water, gravity is not a factor like it is outside of water.

Find a different doctor- !
Good luck,

Not a doctor and not in any manner suggesting this is true for anyone else. But the following is a a report from a dive buddy of mine.
T8-9 Paraplegic for over 30 years and in pain that entire time. Taking morphine, vicadan and another heavy drug for pain. SCUBA diving gives her relief from her pain and she can feel her toes when she dives. Last week, after laying in bed for 2 weeks due to the pain (she tweaked her back somehow), we hit the water for a much needed dive. This week, a little vicadan from time to time is all she needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom