Does anyone ask to see your logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been asked for my logbook. I've been asked for my cert card, my credit card, and I've been asked for my medical clearance, but I've never been asked for my logbook. Those who need to know I have a certain number of dives can see from watching me in the water. If they can't tell, then I have enough dives.

I log all of my dives in a paper logbook, mainly to keep up with my weighting and to log the species I have seen. No one has ever asked for it.

Only time I have ever had to show logs was when I signed up to volunteer at an aquarium. They had some kind of scientific certification and needed a paper trail for everything. You had to provide a small number of dives either photocopied or printed from your logbook. I printed a few from subsurface and they were happy. I don't think they cared about the details of those logs at all, they were ticking a box somewhere.

So, in the 70’s we never (me and everyone I dove with) kept logs of our dives. No one asked, or seemed to care. In fact, I don’t remember ever having to show my cert card to rent gear, buy air or go on a boat. After a long break, I’ve recertified and am diving again. Has it changed in the last 40+ years? I don’t plan on a diving career, just recreation diving on nice days.

Some charters want to see a AOW, deep, master etc or dive log for certain sites.

I'm signing up to volunteer at a aquarium. They want log of cert requiring over 50 dives

Card (DM or Nitrox) yes. What's a log book?

If anyone wanted to see my long gone log book, it would have 4 dives to 20 feet in 2014 when we did openwater.. After that, I guess I would show them my dive computers. The old one comes along as a back up.

safe travels, see you on the reefs!

Jay

Mine has 2 entries.

1. Lighter undergarment, fresh water. 22 pounds slightly heavy

2. 3mm waterproof suit, salt water, single 100 with bpw 8 pounds. Slightly heavy

I have only been asked once (IIRC), when I took my SDI Solo course, the standard requires at least 100 dives of experience. My reply to the instructor was that he would know my experience within 20 seconds of starting the dive :)

I have only been asked once (IIRC), when I took my SDI Solo course, the standard requires at least 100 dives of experience. My reply to the instructor was that he would know my experience within 20 seconds of starting the dive :)
I've never been thrilled about the use of numbers as an evaluation of a diver as I've been on boats with people with thousands of dives where I'm glad my dives were not interrupted due to an incompetence induced incident. I'd rather see specific, objective performance requirements during a required evaluation dive prior to starting an advanced course. Obviously, I'd have to be on some really good (or bad) drugs to ever expect to see non DIR agencies do this, as it would completely disrupt the con ed courses, as people wouldn't like to have to basically retake open water before continuing additional training.

I've kept a dive log book for 30+ years( actually on my fifth volume). I can't recall anyone ever asking to see it but I continue using it. My input on my last dive helps me get focused on the next. It helps me personally keep Track of my SAC, gases mixes, weather and sea conditions and other little bits of info that get entered. I still get dive operators stamps if they have them.

It also helps me record not only my dive numbers but more importantly to me, is my cumulative bottom time. This priority happened somewhere between dive 1000 and 2000. Actually dive number 1385( I had entered that awareness in my log).

I have a fist full of C-cards from open water to Tec etc. I have found it useful sometimes not to use my instructor card or TDI cards and just be an open water diver on a two tank dive boat. Especially if I hear a lot of new "advanced" divers looking for buddies.

I guess at this point my most important card to have is my current DAN card. Safe diving and dont skip the deco stops..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom