Does anyone ask to see your logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef Madness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, in the 70’s we never (me and everyone I dove with) kept logs of our dives. No one asked, or seemed to care. In fact, I don’t remember ever having to show my cert card to rent gear, buy air or go on a boat. After a long break, I’ve recertified and am diving again. Has it changed in the last 40+ years? I don’t plan on a diving career, just recreation diving on nice days.

If you want nitrox fills, you will have to show your nitrox card at least the first time at a shop.

Many shops want to see your cert card at least the first time you want fills.

You can buy gear without showing a cert card.

Charter ops really differ. Some want an idea of your experience, others just want to see a card.

This happened occasionally to me in New England where the diving is a little tougher. Usually it was just a verbal quiz of date of last dive and if I’ve dove similar conditions.

Same experience as above.

If anyone asked to see my actual logged dives (which has never happened) the answer would be "no". Because my log is in my laptop, full of grotesque profanity and embarrassing personal lessons-learned that nobody else needs to read. I guess I'd let them scroll through my shearwater profiles if they insisted on seeing something.

Times change. I dove without formal training back then and no one cared.

The only reason you might need a log is if x number of dives was a requirement of training. If you use a dive computer it can be used for a dive log, but I've never been asked to show one, ever.

I only have one to keep track of my weighting for using different tanks, rigs, and exposure protection.

The Doctor in the Deco Chamber

Chicks dig it, too.

At the IDC

Never sjowed my logbook, but used it to.answer course related questions as "number of dives deeper than X meters", "number of dives requiring decompression etc.
Nobody actually looked through my books though

I don’t remember ever having to show my cert card to rent gear, buy air or go on a boat. After a long break, I’ve recertified and am diving again. Has it changed in the last 40+ years?

Regular air fills (my own tank): I've never been asked to show my card

Nitrox fills (my own tank): rarely been asked to show my card

Renting gear: not sure... I've always had my own. But I would imagine a shop would want to ensure you're certified.

Dive boat: always had to show a cert card

Logbooks... outside of training I've only been asked for my logbook once. We were planning to dive in Roatan and the site we wanted to visit was restricted so it could recover from having had too many divers in too short a time. The shop told me they could take us if we could convince them we had enough experience that they wouldn't have to worry about us beating up the coral. They wanted to see our logbooks, so we obliged. And we dived.

So I think logbook requests are very rare, but they can happen.

If they don't already know you well enough then Divers Den in Tobermory Ont will request to see your logbook/e-logs for Advanced OW dives they charter in the mornings.
"Morning dives are for Advanced cold water divers only. Dives including the Forest City, Arabia, or Dufferin Wall require a MINIMUM of 10 deep (100ft) cold (45F or less) dives in the last 18 months. Logbook required."

Pro-Dive Central Coast Australia was the only other place that has ask me for both Nitrox and logged 'deep' dives as we where diving the Ex HMAS Adelaide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom