Does anyone have any experience with this line cutter from Benchmade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone have any experience with this line cutter from Benchmade?

9CB Details | Benchmade

It looks very interesting for use in diving.

Only point I had some concerns with was that the blade spec is "Premium Stainless". Am not sure what that means. Most Rescue Hooks I see are 440C or AUS 8 Stainless. Been looking for one in a nitrogen impregnated steel like Spyderco's H1 stainless Salts.

The carabiner and sheathless design make it unique among rescue hooks I have seen.

Price is not so bad either!

I have been looking at that 7 Rescue Hook (X15) for a while. Waiting for a Kydex sheath to come around though. How does it work out with the nylon sheath? Wondering if it available aftermarket.

Benchmade hooks are considered to be the top of the top among EMS. The .mil guys prefer the 8, civilians the 5. I can not personally speak for them in the underwater environment.

Product List | Benchmade

I have found that rounded-hook cutting edges don’t cut nearly as well as hook knives that taper to near zero with a straight blade. Even better are two opposing straight blades that form the hook. Add in disposable blades and you don’t need any sharpening skill to keep it razor sharp. This is the best I have found so far: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/315577-great-z-knife.html

I have found that rounded-hook cutting edges don’t cut nearly as well as hook knives that taper to near zero with a straight blade. Even better are two opposing straight blades that form the hook. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/315577-great-z-knife.html

That's interesting. we've found that the blades that taper will "clog" under many circumstances, e.g. wet and/or bloody clothing, and that the rounded blade fares better under those conditions. I'm guessing from your experience, that's not the case with what is found under water?

That's interesting. we've found that the blades that taper will "clog" under many circumstances, e.g. wet and/or bloody clothing, and that the rounded blade fares better under those conditions. I'm guessing from your experience, that's not the case with what is found under water?

I am sure underwater is a factor given the inherent self-cleaning of small particles, in addition to the materials being cut. The only time I have noticed clogging underwater was on a single blade model that didn’t bottom-out in a sharp “V”. Uncut strands of line that were too small to be pinched against the cutting edge by the tapered plastic would hang. The double/opposing blades make it nearly impossible; unless you let the blades get really dull.

A negative characteristic of Z-knives is the part of the blade closest to the bottom of the “V” does the most cutting, and therefore dulls the fastest. The rest of the blade can still be like new. Unfortunately the replaceable blades in the Z-knife I like can’t be flipped 180°. Maybe this is a good thing since I would probably lose track and try to flip them a third time anyway.

It would be interesting to see if you get the same results in a topside rescue application with double-opposing blade Z-Knives. Can you simulate the conditions as a test? It would be interesting to know if the problem persists in that application.

It would be interesting to see if you get the same results in a topside rescue application with double-opposing blade Z-Knives. Can you simulate the conditions as a test? It would be interesting to know if the problem persists in that application.

Great idea. Should be easy enough. 3 sets of "cuttables", leather, cloth, rope, and the two cutters, Benchmade and Z. Cut with each dry, wet in air, in water. Your link sells both :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom