Does anyone use LEG weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Georgiadaybreak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know it sounds weird, but I have more of a problem with my legs floating above my spine line due to the Henderson hyperstretch suit I wear,which is VERY bouyant. My integrated weight BC keeps my mid section and arms stable, but my lower back tends to arch up due to my legs floating a bit higher than my midline. I love my Henderson wetskin and don't want to give it up, but since I've had it, I've had this bouyancy problem. I swear it seems if I just had 1/2 pound on each leg, I would be fine. has anyone ever heard of leg diving weights? I've talked to other women who have experienced the same problem, especially when wearing a hyperstretch wetsuit.

By the end of a week diving, my lower back is really aching due to this arched swim position. :(

"Leg weights" = ankle weights, right?

Yeah. Some people trim out better (horizontal skydiver position when neutrally buoyant) by putting a little extra weight on or near the feet. It really just depends on your body type and gear configuration (position of tank relative to BCD, placement of lead weights, thickness/placement of neoprene, etc.). That being said, there are things that you can do technique-wise to modulate trim, e.g., where you choose to position your feet or arms.

I would recommend giving the ankle weights a try. You could also borrow more negatively buoyant fins and see if that helps. Whatever it is that works for you...do it. :D

You might want to check out the following two webpages prepared by a SB member (Don a.k.a. ae3753):
Horizontal Trim 101 - Uses
Horizontal Trim 101 - Levers

Good luck!

@diver 85: Yeah, I saw that thread. I agree with what the OP initially posted. Dive shops should not be packaging ankle weights with every new drysuit they sell. Too many recreational divers exhibit poor horizontal trim (and inadequate buoyancy control, for that matter). What I don't agree with is the knee-jerk reaction that so many here on SB have toward ankle weights and drysuit gaiters. Their first instinct is to ridicule anyone who says that ankle weights or gaiters could be helpful. They argue that head-down/feet-up trim occurs due to a deficiency in technique. These are the same people who have drysuits with a customized fit and who use heavy fins (like Scubapro jetfins). The fact of the matter is that lead weight distribution, body type, gear configuration, and arm/leg positioning can all affect trim. If spending $40 on ankle weights makes a diver feel more comfortable and helps him/her achieve horizontal trim, then I say go for it.

Thanks, BubbleTrubble and Diver85. I read all of the links you both shared. I think giving ankle weights a try is a good decision. This problem just started when I got the new hyperstretch suit. At first I didn't know where the problem came from, then one day I dove without the suit, and viola' ...no problem. then I realized the suit created the extra bouyancy in my legs. I love the suit....I need the warmth and comfort....so I think the ankle weights are a good compromise. My lower back will thank me. :cool2:

@diver 85: Yeah, I saw that thread. I agree with what the OP initially posted. Dive shops should not be packaging ankle weights with every new drysuit they sell. Too many recreational divers exhibit poor horizontal trim (and inadequate buoyancy control, for that matter). What I don't agree with is the knee-jerk reaction that so many here on SB have toward ankle weights and drysuit gaiters. Their first instinct is to ridicule anyone who says that ankle weights or gaiters could be helpful. They argue that head-down/feet-up trim occurs due to a deficiency in technique. These are the same people who have drysuits with a customized fit and who use heavy fins (like Scubapro jetfins). The fact of the matter is that lead weight distribution, body type, gear configuration, and arm/leg positioning can all affect trim. If spending $40 on ankle weights makes a diver feel more comfortable and helps him/her achieve horizontal trim, then I say go for it.

agree------bought some(pr. 1.5's) when I went from neg. buoyant fins, Dacor Turbo II's & III's, to a pair of neutrally buoyant splits........took me a few dives to get used to the 'new feeling' splits after 20+ years of diving the older fins.....

Back
Top Bottom