Does computer PLAN mode consider CNS limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
When we set our computer with nitrox setting and switch to PLAN mode before a dive, does it consider CNS limit along with NDL? I checked some of the popular computer manual, they all mentioned NDL only. I just wonder if it accumulates CNS clock. Or is that we can only get our CNS clock during diving?

Check your computer's manual.

I would hope that all Nitrox-capable computers would work this way, but check the manual for YOUR computer.

I know that the Aeris Atmos2, which is a many years old model, considers oxygen toxicity (CNS) in its dive plan mode. See page 46 for an example.

Check your computer's manual.

I would hope that all Nitrox-capable computers would work this way, but check the manual for YOUR computer.

I know that the Aeris Atmos2, which is a many years old model, considers oxygen toxicity (CNS) in its dive plan mode. See page 46 for an example.

Thanks tep!
That's useful. I checked sunnto d4i, deepblu, cressi leonardo manual, they didn't mentione oxygen in PLAN mode. So I just wonder if that means they don't consider it in PLAN mode (before diving).

When we set our computer with nitrox setting and switch to PLAN mode before a dive, does it consider CNS limit along with NDL? I checked some of the popular computer manual, they all mentioned NDL only. I just wonder if it accumulates CNS clock. Or is that we can only get our CNS clock during diving?

You made me think. I am using Perdix AI. It wasn't obvious in the manual for nitrox. But I found it in the operations manual. https://www.shearwater.com/manuals/Perdix-Operating-Intructions-Manual.pdf

Page 52:
"Note: Residual tissue loading (and CNS%) from recent dives will be used in calculating the profile. "

Since I also carry a Suunto Gekko as a backup I looked there as well. Same answer: yes

See: https://www.simplyscuba.com/pdf/ScubaManuals/DiveComputers/Gekko Manual English.pdf

Page 18:
The Planning mode also accounts for the following information from previous dives:

• any calculated residuial nitrogen

• all dive history for the past four days

• oxygen toxicity (Nitrox mode)

There are 2 major algorithms to monitor O2 exposure. The Seiko Epson algorithm includes a 90 minute O2 elimination half life in the calculations and is more liberal. The Pelagic Pressure Systems uses a rolling 24 hour exposure that is more conservative and is consistent with the NOAA guidelines. I am easily able to exceed the NOAA guidelines with 4 dives per day, 5 dives in a 24 hour window, using the NOAA guidelines, when doing my 4 dives per day using EAN36 in SE Florida. My O2 exposure is clearly taken into effect when in the planning mode on my primary VT3 or my previous backup Geo2. When applicable, O2 exposure dictates dive time rather than NDL. I have abandoned by Geo2 backup in favor of a Dive Rite Nitek Q, to learn Buhlmann with GF. the Nitek Q runs the Seiko Epson algorithm. It is in the best interest of all divers to understand how their computer works and how that effects the information available to them during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom