Does GoPro have color adjust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Newer diver and looking to take some underwater pics. I picked up a cheap camera from Amazon, an Akaso EK7000 just to to use for now since it's end of season and to get a feel for what I really need/want. But looking to get something a bit better over the winter. One of the issues I have had with the Akaso is my pics always have a green tint to them (New England salt waters). I did some research and apparently I need a Magenta filter for that. This camera housing has some I can get, but reviews are horrible and they don't fit. I was told on a FB page I needed a camera that has an "underwater" option to filter that color out . I have been looking at the GoPro 6 or 8. Does anyone know if those cameras have that option built in, or would i still need some sort of lens filter? I am just looking to get some cool pics underwater to show family and friends...so don't need professional looking stuff or a giant camera rig (they are awesome, but a bit out of the range I wanna spend). Just a camera I can clip to my BC and have on hand should I see something I wanna take a pic of.

Thanks!!!!

To my knowledge GoPros do not have any onboard color filter settings. There are a lot of aftermarket color filters lenses you can add to a gopro to filter while you are taking shots. Alternatively you can do color adjustment in your editing software after you are done shooting. You can also invest in lighting and lighting trays for your gopro that will make color correction much less necessary.

There are other camera’s that do have digital filters built into them. For example my Sealife Micro 2.0 camera has a digital red lense filter that you can activate while taking shots, but it is not as good for hand-free action shooting as the gopro.

For underwater video/photo and built in color correction based on depth, this is the best:
www.paralenz.com

The camera is made for diving and strong enough to withstand depths of up to 250m with no need for housing. It records your depth and water temperature and applies color correction in real time based on the depth.

For underwater video/photo and built in color correction based on depth, this is the best:
www.paralenz.com

The camera is made for diving and strong enough to withstand depths of up to 250m with no need for housing. It records your depth and water temperature and applies color correction in real time based on the depth.

Thanks but $700 is way more than I want to spend. Plus it doesn't look like it has any sort of screen, so with my luck I'll think I'm taking a pic of a fish and instead it will be of the rock next to it :) Looks really cool though.

Big ups for the Paralenz....as for the lack of screen, it's like pointing a flashlight....if you can't do that, then I would be concerned...otherwise, point and shoot and it works. I've used it both as a hand-held, and as an attachment to my mask. The later is even easier....what you look at, it films.

I'm sure it''s fantastic...but still about $300 more than I am looking to spend

Thanks but $700 is way more than I want to spend. Plus it doesn't look like it has any sort of screen, so with my luck I'll think I'm taking a pic of a fish and instead it will be of the rock next to it :) Looks really cool though.

It is wide angle so no issues with covering what you need covered with the lens. Also, you don't need a housing for it and no need to buy software for color correction. You are saving lots of money with the Paralenz in addition to your not having to spend time fiddling with software correcting colors. You will be getting a much better video with the Paralenz. Your friends will start to think that you actually know what you are doing :p

For the diver, it is a far better value than the GoPro stuff.

If you are otherwise happy with the camera, just find a cheap filter and hold it on with a rubber band if you need to. You can buy all sorts of filter materials on Amazon and cut them to size yourself.

There's no doubt that a recent GoPro or Paralenz is a better camera, but if the only thing pushing you to upgrade is so you can get a filter to fit the housing, there are a lot of cheaper solutions.

IMHO, a decent filter appropriately matched to the conditions will do a better job than almost any in-camera or post processing compensation. The filter will reduce the blues and greens, restoring some balance. While that lowers the overall brightness, the camera can compensate for that and get a proper exposure, within reason, of a color corrected scene or something close to it.

Making adjustments after the fact to an unfiltered image is more limited because you're stuck with the exposure. When you try to boost reds and tone down blues and greens, there just isn't as much to work with.

not to mention that the red filters go for 30-40 bucks a pop, are a binary fix to the issue of color balance...and scratch, very easily. I got tired of replacing red filters on my gopro....

Not binary. 2-3 would cover almost anything. On a wet filter, scratches really don't show unless it's a true gouge. Is it going to be a perfect color balanced image -- not always. But the goal is to get it within the range of something that you can adjust in post before you run out of bandwidth in the image as captured.

A Paralenz isn't going to be perfect either. It can compensate, roughly, for depth. That's a great feature, but it won't be perfect depending on the nature of the light, vis, etc.

Recognize that these little action cams are just that -- little action cams with little bitty sensors and so-so optics. Great for what they are, sure. But pretty limited in terms of what you can do with an image compared to say, a DSLR shooting in RAW mode.

So, it's helpful to get as close as you can to the right exposure and white balance at the time you record the image. You are then much more likely to find that the recorded image is within the boundaries of what you can improve in post processing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom