Does More (exercised) Muscle = Better Efficiency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addison Snyder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Legs are a little sore after a weekend of frogkicks. Got me thinking about whether it would make sense to work on those muscles. But would more muscle mean more metabolism and more breathing? Asking mostly out of curiosity.

There are two ways (not necessarily exclusive) to develop muscle. One is to train fast twitch fibers to increase their size (= strength, this is weight training) and the other is to train slow twitch fibers (= endurance, this is cardio). Human muscles contain a mix of fiber types and thus respond to both types of training. For frog kicking, this falls more into the cardio side of things. Cardio training increases endurance capacity and actually makes the muscle more efficient. Weight training the thigh adductor muscles will increase their strength, but won't help much for the endurance you need frog kicking for an extended period of time. The ideal training would be doing extended swims doing the frog kick.

I don't have RyanT's knowledge but will say that any kind of swimming is probably good for most muscles. I know that to score well (well a "3", which I think is like under 13 minutes) on the DM 400 swim I had to train by doing months of weekly pool laps. I couldn't score well my first try despite a fairly rigorous bit of training including running-- but no swimming.
Since you use your legs for scuba, swimming makes sense (even the arm strokes, as you have to life heavy equipment and may use arms during scuba for very specific reasons).
But, since that DM test 10 years ago I have done zero swimming and noticed no problems diving, or back when I was assisting on courses.

I'm a lifelong road cyclist and I firmly believe my leg strength and endurance transfer directly to diving. When I started diving, once I got my finning technique sorted, I was easily outpacing many of my more experienced dive partners. For me, it's easier and more convenient to get in training on the bike than in a pool or the quarry.

Also worth noting that initial gains in strength when training (weight training) are not due to increase in muscle size but due to increased recruitment of of muscle fibers during the contraction...basically more muscles fibers firing during the contraction equals a stronger contraction. Initial results of increased strength due to weight training is based on the neuro-muscular junction not a laydown of new or an expansion of existing muscle fibers.

-Z

Exercise and weight training absolutely helps in diving and every other aspect of a healthy life. I’ve been an avid weight lifter since I was 14 yo and I’m almost 58 now.
Weight training and specifically the final few reps during the height of intensity releases many compounds and hormones that aid in recovery, anti inflammatory, anti oxidant, HGH, the list goes on. Cardio is very necessary but so is resistance training. I’m a believer in moderate sensible cardio, not manic crazy cardio. I’ve seen negative results with people overdoing it. I’ve also seen negative results with people doing crazy weight lifting routines, so keep it moderate and it will keep you young and in shape.
There is no downside to resistance training when it comes to diving. You will cramp less and be less sore because the muscle fiber itself will be stronger and the cell structure bound better and in shape and the Oxygen/CO2 transfer will be more efficient.
Don’t forget your good source of protein and Vitamin C.
:wink:

I'm hardly a fitness guru.....but my understanding is bigger muscles need more oxygen.

If improving SAC rate is your goal, I'm guessing cardio is more important than strength training and bulking up

I'm guessing a body builder has a better SAC rate than your 'average' adult male......but I'm also guessing that a scrawny 120lb guy that runs 2x a week has a better SAC rate than both of them

But would more muscle mean more metabolism and more breathing? Asking mostly out of curiosity.
I doubt that the little bit of training it would take to get you to the point where frog kicks no longer left you feeling sore would have a measurable impact on your SAC rate, and if anything it would improve it because you'd be exerting yourself less. But in terms of larger gains, I do think having more muscle means more metabolism and more breathing. That's why women generally have better SAC rates than men. Again, we're talking about significant differences, those that put athletes in entirely separate classes, not just the small difference an individual would gain from some sensible training. I don't think any diver should take this to mean they should be a couch potato. But if you're already in OK shape and wondering if you should roid out and become a bodybuilder or if that might harm your SAC rate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom