Does SCUBA gear sounds, sights scare off sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI for sure instructs you to. Stay under the shark if it's not a threat, keep sight of it, yada kerblah. If it's aggressive then you exit the water calmly but as quickly as possible. Personally speaking I don't think I'd be partial to charging a shark and bopping it in the nose in its own environment. Compared to me, it's far more powerful and skilled in swimming. Same as I probably wouldn't walk up to a bear on land and give it a good smack to show it who's above it in the food chain.

PADI for sure instructs you to. Stay under the shark if it's not a threat, keep sight of it, yada kerblah. If it's aggressive then you exit the water calmly but as quickly as possible. Personally speaking I don't think I'd be partial to charging a shark and bopping it in the nose in its own environment. Compared to me, it's far more powerful and skilled in swimming. Same as I probably wouldn't walk up to a bear on land and give it a good smack to show it who's above it in the food chain.

Can you give us a little more explanation about how your are supposed to stay UNDER a shark?

When I windsurf in Maui my buddies always say your going to be near a tiger shark , no worry but don't use GPS. A few years ago, windsurfing in Kanaha, a frenchman was using a GPS based speed sensor. T hey watched a big Tiger shark weave its' way around the other surfers and swim straight to the fella using the GPS. I think he lost a leg in the attack. So I don't know if it was attracted by the electrical aspect or the noise of the sailer. . That's why I don't get lost on a dive and deploy a GPS beacon, or spearfish in Maui. Safe diving

I was trained by PADI, I didn't write or teach their curriculum. You asked who did it, I told you. Frankly speaking if I were diving in waters with sharks I'd be in a large group and stick close to them. I only have to outrun the slowest diver.

I have virtually no expertise other than landing on a large shark during a USAF parascuba jump in support of Apollo years ago. But I have heard that the Scubapro Mk VII sonic reserve regulator, developed in the late 1970s, was a shark attractor, which led it to not be too popular in the tropics. When you went on reserve with that regulator, a vibration was sent from the first stage into the second stage, and it was also audible for about 50 feet by divers (without hoods). Unfortunately, you could not stop the noise without further consequences.

SeaRat

I was trained by PADI, I didn't write or teach their curriculum. You asked who did it, I told you. Frankly speaking if I were diving in waters with sharks I'd be in a large group and stick close to them. I only have to outrun the slowest diver.

I've dove around sharks many hundreds of times. Real sharks..(generally solo) I don't act timid and your advice to stay under a shark is ridiculous. I also never indicated that I would chase down a shark and slam it. I tried to explain that if THEY approach ME.. and voliate my comfort zone,, then they are going to be delivered a firm blow. Of course it is all a bluff and a decent shark could kill you in a few moments, but you have to NOT act timid.. all you got is bluffing (unless you have a gun).

I was unsure if you knew what you were talking about or just relating something you think an instructor told you. I would be very surprised if the PADI course materials recommend staying under a shark and acting timid.

BTW. Most sharks are more bold around freedivers than scuba divers...

I tried to stay underneath a boisterous oceanic one time as per one of the guide's musings that the only ever attack from side or underneath. So we were playing @5m with this large very curious female when she picked me out. I gently tried to stay below her. In seconds I was at 30m with just me and her. I was pretty alarmed (was first trip diving with this species and they can get the old pulse going) but thankfully possibly the worst diver I've ever had the pleasure to meet plunged down flapping like a duck so the oceanic's tender enquiries moved swiftly to our flailing friend.

Now I don't bother trying to stay underneath sharks as you never know whether you'll have a total stroke come save you :)

I'd also second that acting timid with sharks is probably not a good idea and bluff is indeed your friend. Don't act like prey :).

In any event the odds of really having any trouble when diving with sharks is vanishingly small.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom