Does Stupidity Have Consequences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, duh. He did say Atomic, didn't he.
Nevermind. :facepalm:
(Stupidity has consequences...)

I'm hoping to graduate to Nuclear soon. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I began this process. Blowing the first stage out without anything attached resulted, in about 10 seconds, in the high pressure blowing causing some cooling and condensation all over. I'm guessing I should wait a few minutes for things to evaporate before screwing in plugs and whatnot?

Thanks in advance!

I would screw in plugs immediately after another dry gas flush. Otherwise moisture in ambient air will condense inside the reg. Right now, it's only the outside that gets frosty, because tank air is dry.

^^^Yeah, that.

I am trained as a nuclear. Better to be a not nuclear.

And once you have the second stage screwed back on, do it again with the purge button pressed.

Did you have the dust cover/DIN cap installed - in other words, are you sure water made it into the first stage?

Personally, I'd have the first stage serviced, especially if I had several salt water dives on it. It's not uncommon to get a little bit of this or that into your first stage in the normal course of things. If you really soaked them, even in freshwater, you could end up with a mess in there as things already in there get spread around. I probably would not worry about the second stages.

If you do decide to blow it out, remove all the hoses and port plugs and blow with only the first stage on the bottle. Then reinstall the port plugs and hoses, but without second stages or SPG and blow again to clear the hoses. Then reinstall the 2nd stages and blow a little with out an SPG, then put the SPG back on. No sense blowing water from the first stage down the hoses into the second stages and SPG.

It's an Atomic, even if he had dust cap on water can still track up the hose through the second stage into the first stage.

(Posted before reading whole thread, sorry Wookie/rsingler that'll learn me)

I smashed my Perdix screen, air drying it swinging it around, I thought to my self "don't let go" which almost instantly I did. Now that is stupid, and expensive. Seems the Perdix isn't built to withstand 3GS of force onto concrete. Lesson learnt, be careful what you're thinking and yes, stupidity does have consequences.

take all hoses off and all port plugs out. Take outside since it'll make a mess with any dust or anything. Wearing ear protection since it will be hideously loud, put it on a tank and open for 10 ish seconds. That will blow most everything out....
Thank you for detailed instruction about cleaning.

I`d posted here twice and repeat it some times, how to clean your regulator in the fresh water and do not be affraid of leakage:
I`m always try to disconnect my regulators from tank valves under pressure! :)
Sure, tank valve should be closed at this moment.

How and why I do it:
After closing tank valve I make pressure drop (checking by SPG) till 30-40 bar, by pressing purge button on the second stage.
Then (I using DIN only) slowly turning DIN nut (NOT regulator body!), until it starts to "psssssst", waiting, and than easy disconnecting regulator from tank valve.
With Yoke it much easy to do.

Than I check O-ring, and when it came out from groove, putting it back.

At this moment we have:
Closed tank.
Detached regulator.
AND! Pressure inside regulator and hoses, equal to IP.

Then I SLOWLY pressing purge button.
In one moment regulator valve will be opened, and air starts to going out from HP connector through regulator filter.

This allow to clean filter by air, containing inside hoses.
This allow to clean filter from rust particles from the tank and from any water drops, that could stay inside connector.

I`m doing it ALWAYS :)

Only one bad thing could be there - you can lost or dammage your O-ring on the HP connector. You just need to be care about it.
No any other problems could be here.

P.S. you can put your wet hand before HP hole when you doing it, and you will see, how many rust you have on the filter.
Try to do it, and you will be amazed.

... 2. When you try to disconnect 1st stage from tank - after closing valve do not drop the pressure less than 20bar. Then try to disconnect DIN or Yoke carefully from valve. It will make "psssst", and stops. Do not press purge button on 2nd stage after! You should stay pressure in the hoses.
When you make this step - you can loose HP o-ring, be carefully. Put it back to the sink.
Than close hole in the 1st stage by finger, and then put regulator to the fresh water and shake it storngly.
THAN shake it from water drops, remove finger, AND SLOWLY press purge button.
When pressure in the hoses will drop less than IP (setup pressure or Intemediate Pressure), you 1st stage will opening, and air starts to go from hoses, over regulator, over the filter to the out.
It allow you to get some dividents:
Your filter will be cleaned from any possible drops of water.
You filter will be cleaned from any rust particles from the tank.
And you be able to see, how it clean, when you will put you palm before air stream. All particles will stay on your wet palm (I hope you are freshed regulator before :) )
And also that allow to prevent water ingress inside regulator when you will freshening it.
this way can help you to prevent ingress of small amount of water in ocassional drop of your regulator in to the water.

I smashed my Perdix screen, air drying it swinging it around, I thought to my self "don't let go" which almost instantly I did. Now that is stupid, and expensive. Seems the Perdix isn't built to withstand 3GS of force onto concrete. Lesson learnt, be careful what you're thinking and yes, stupidity does have consequences.
Oh my!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom