"Does This Island Go To The Bottom?" A novel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started a thread called "What's the Life of A Dive Bum Like?" a little while back because I was curious (and a little bit jealous) of the young dive instructors I would see on vacation.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/468883-what-life-dive-bum-like.html
Someone on that thread recommended your book. I picked it up. Fun read. Thanks for sharing.

It was insightful, especially regarding teaching the Dive Discovery classes to the cruise boat crowd.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Eric,

Did you make any money at all while working as an instructor or was it living meagre paycheck to meagre paycheck? Just curious how poor the lifestyle is. shared housing, no car, etc.

I imagine that sooner or later, especially once the pressure to get married and have a family kicked in, that the lifestyle was unsustainable. But it wass fun while it lasted!

Last edited:
Salt, I sent you a privet message. As an instructor in the resort industry you make little money, but the experience and life style are far richer than monetary value. Yes it was paycheck to paycheck and tip to tip. My hats off to all instructors and divemasters around the world. I dedicated the book to them as well because it's not just my story, every dive pro has stories very similar and can relate.

Thanks for reading my crazy book,

Eric

Great book! I have it on my Kobo.

Totally unrelated to seeing this thread, I picked up the e-reader version 6 months ago. Entertaining read. Well worth the price of admission (download). :)

I loved Does this Island go all the way to the bottom - way more entertaining and enjoying to read than the 232 bars idiocy.

Well done to Eric for writing a book about the DM lifestyle without resorting to smut and filth like the ''John Triggerfish'' crap. Would recommend does this island would warn against wasting even one dollar on 232 bars or produce another dumb instructor.

If you can get anybody to fix the problems with the e-version, please do . . . I read the book, and honestly, before I saw your comment, my opinion of you as an author was pretty low, because of the misspellings and the errors in grammar that make the book read as though it was written by someone without much education. If that's an artifact of the transition to Kindle, they should fix it.

TSandM,

I know, I'm a bit frustrated with the e version of the book. There is a definitely difference between the printed copy and ebook that I have noticed and really haven't had the time to dig into the problem, but I will.

Thanks, Eric

When you take on something with a lot of magnitude it's always going to be hard work and the vast majority of people really have no concept of what it takes to write a book especially when you're expressing your personal view. Such is the case with this book, Does this Island go to the Bottom. Now what people who have read the book and gave it not so favorable reviews don't realize, is that I have the up most respect for all of my students and divers in general. In the introduction I say it's not your typical dive book, that's it's told with honesty and is a bit brutal at times. What you have to understand when reading my story is that my views and opinions were what I was feeling right at that exact moment and not how I view the vast diving community under the level of instructor and divemaster in general. If you've never worked in the resort environment you really can't relate. It's no different from ski instructors chasing around snow bunnies and talking about what happened and what their students were like at the end of the day while drinking beer in the hot tub. It wouldn't be fare to myself or other instructors and divemasters if I sugar coated it. Also remember I poke fun at my own screw ups and shortcoming's in the book. As far as the Kindle and ebook copies being different from the printed copy, I still need to figure that out. Anyway, I wish all great diving for the rest of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom